Snobby Fan-Fiction Writers

So I've been in the world of Fan-Fiction for about five or six years now. I love the fact you can express yourself creatively through it, and at the same time explore people and characters you love and admire.

I love Fan-Fiction, I love stumbling upon a story that is better than some published works.

But you know what irritates me about some of writers within the realm of Fan-Fiction?

Snobs. Egocentric, retarded Fan-fiction snobs,.

Okay just because you don't like hereto fan-fics, or because you don't like slash, doesn't mean you should look down on those doing something different than you. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you have to read it. Furthermore in my experience...It has always been the negative comments that are the least helpful. They usually just bash and say things like: "This is shit, and it's shit writing." Ummmm...okay, that made that person a better writer.

If you are generally displeased with a story, why, oh dear goddess why can't you just close it out and not read it anymore? What drives you to comment your hate other than to just cause shit and that in my opinion is a waste of time. I know there are many people on the internet that proudly call themselves trolls-so unless you're a performer with your own show or movie making a social comment about something- it's called: NOT HAVING A LIFE. You've just wasted the minutes you spent spreading negativity just so you can feel like you've effected something in the world. People who are trolls on the web are completely pointless and many trolls I know would say: "That's the point, you're wasting their time and making them angry when you could care less. It's funny."

How do you know the person is really reacting the same way in real life as they are on the web? They might just be defending themselves to make the point so other readers can see their view. I've done this in the past. Trolling the troll.

So not all Fan-fic snobs are trolls, but they seem to always transform into Trolls when they encounter a story that offends their incredibly high standers in a genre where ANYONE can write in. Seriously, it's ridiculous to call Fan-Fiction an art. It's plagiarism in a Sunday hat. (not really, but I just had to make the point) Fan-fiction is beautiful because the little teeny bobbers can get their hormones out, and those who do take Fan-fiction more seriously can have something to laugh and avoid doing with their stories.

A lot of Fan-fictions writers start out writing complete shit, but they often get better as they write more and read other fan-fics. Almost every Fan-fiction writer who's been doing it a few years have those one or two early stories they are ashamed of.

I think I've made my point. When I find a story that is....painful to read, I feel like it's my duty as a seasoned Fan-fic writer to message them with some ways to improve their writing. I also try to find something in the story I like. I don't do this with every bad fan-fic I read, but if it has some effort put into it, I'll take the time to share what I've learned. I, by no means am done learning myself- you can always improve no matter how long you've been doing something.

I guess I just want people to realize that everyone has fun with Fan-fiction. (and if you're not, why are you writing it?) So why can't we all just say we love it and not have this burning urge to put down others.
September 20th, 2011 at 08:24am