My science professor needs a wake-up call.

So. I have social anxiety. Like, terrible social anxiety. I can't talk to a new person without wanting to cry, throw up, run away, or do all three. Sometimes I even get lightheaded, on the verge of passing out (especially if it's a guy). It's really pathetic, and I hate it, and it sucks because it keeps me from making friends in my classes, but whatever.

On the second day of my History of the Universe class, my professor told us to pair off and compare homework answers. Such a simple request but like I said, I have huge issues talking to/working with other people, so I panicked and worked alone. I didn't care.

Then comes the lab experiment we had to do the next class. Once again, she asked us to work in groups and then put the names of our partners on the cover page. Once again, I worked alone.

When she saw that I didn't have any lab partners listed, she talked to me privately and I briefly explained the situation to her, with my anxiety and my issues working with other people and everything. She said she understood and told me not to worry about her harassing me about partners anymore.

TODAY. TODAY.

She handed out a worksheet that had to do with last night's homework and told us all to partner up and work together, blah blah blah. Since I thought our private talk was pretty clear-cut and obvious, I started working on the worksheet alone. She then walks up to me and gestures to the two girls sitting next to me who were already working together and says, "Is there a group here you should be joining?"

Image

I gave her a blank "are you fo' serious" look but she was completely serious and then said again "You should be working in partners."

Image

I was like, "Right, but -"

"Work together!"

"Didn't you -"

"You should be comparing answers as well."

WHAAAAAT. I thought...didn't we...you said...our talk...UGH.

Meanwhile these two girls are staring at me like I'm an idiot.

Cue my panic attack and rush to the bathroom.

Image

I hate this class.
September 22nd, 2011 at 09:13pm