&My cheeks are stained with salty waters.

I keep noticing feelings I get when I'm with certain people in certain places and certain situations, and realizing that in less than a week, those feelings will be gone and those moments will be history. They'll be three and a half thousand miles away, and I may never feel them again.

Like the feeling I get when we're all in the car, driving to various stores at ungodly hours of the night, on random, crazy, and generally a bit ridiculous missions; when just the right song is playing, and no one is fighting and the street lights and the smooth turns make everything slow; and I look out the window and can feel their smiles, and everything seems perfect, for a little while.

And the feeling I get when He and I are saying goodbye but instead of walking away, we just keep looking at each other and smiling; and he hugs me so tight, and I think maybe I'll just stay right there.

And that feeling, when we're walking down the darkest roads in Her neighborhood, daring to shed our clothes, and the air sends chills across our skin and we fluctuate from far to near and back; and everyone says we'll always be friends because streaking friends are forever friends.
And the feeling when a car drives by and at the same time we all run, jump, hide, then scamper and laugh because that's our thing and we like it that way.

These are the moments I'll miss. These are the feelings I'll wish I remembered vividly enough to regenerate them. These are the thoughts that, when I think them, will send me spiralling into the darkness behind my eyelids, biting my lip and looking up beneath their protection, in an attempt to build a dam against my waters.

These are the thoughts that stain my cheeks.
October 2nd, 2011 at 08:38am