College, Where Thursday Kicks Off the Weekend

Ah, first journal entry. As you can probably tell by the title, I'm a college student. If you are or have already been to college, you probably already know that there aren't many classes on Fridays. (or is that just a Michigan budget cut thing?) So... here's my day....

In my hall, we're playing this game called Marshmallow Assassination. You get a target to "assassinate", a marshmallow, and very few rules. Everyone playing has an assassin after them and someone to assassinate. Last person standing wins. Easy right? I mean, we're all in the same building, how hard can it be? The answer: very.

I'm proud to say, I lasted the entire first week. Hey, don't laugh! only 30 people managed that. 30 out of 240 students. I think that's pretty decent. It was only today that I got assassinated by my friend Becca, who lives only 4 doors down. Let me recount you the tale.

After being paranoid all day, I finally returned to the safety of my dorm. Of course, being the competitive person that I am, I don't want to just hide away all afternoon in my little haven. I need to get my target yet, problem is, I don't know him hardly at all, and he's always in the library or study room. Both of these places are off limits to Assassination. to make it harder, I've only ever seen him from the back of the head, so even if I did happen to see him, I wouldn't know it.
I sneak out of my room and dart to the stairs, to the third floor. I'm creeping around like a thief, in the dead-silent hall, when I hear, " Liz, Becca!! Ruuun!!" Becca comes around the corner with her marshmallow, staring me down like we're in one of those stand-offs in an old Western movie. She takes a step closer, and I bolt. At least running in high school paid off for something.
I can't slow down to turn into the stairwell, and continue into the sun room at the end of the hall - DEAD END.
Cue another Western standoff. "No where to run."
I back myself into the far corner and grab a pillow off one of the couches and use it as a shield against any incoming marshmallows. Luckily for me, marshmallows were never designed to fly, and Becca's lands a couple inches away from my bare foot. I grab the sugary projectile, and we enter a realm of physical violence. Well, mostly just Becca trying to get her marshmallow back, so she can take another shot at me. I'm not really trying too hard, managing to escape her grasping hands with a few techniques I learned in a self-defense class a couple years back. That and I have a 16 year-old brother at home.
I struggle over to the stairwell door and with a final shove, toss the now mutilated marshmallow in. Becca stares at me for a moment, as if to ask, "Did you seriously just do that?"
Then I bolt again - down the stairs, in the lobby, into the first floor dorms, up to the second floor, and then a few more other twists and turns. Finally, I decide to take the closest stairwell back to my room, where I'll be safe again. Guess who's at the door waiting for me?
Becca opens the door, and I try to hold it shut. I'm holding up okay, until Hillary decides to help Becca and then.... assassinated.
I ensured that Hilary was assassinated a short while later.... 10 minutes before the Parent Weekend cease-fire.

Yep, that's my day.
October 7th, 2011 at 07:19am