What's in a Name PART 2 of 5 (a story about first love and the meaning behind the name)

Myspace and phonecalls! Remember that? Before facebook and text messages were popular there was myspace and talking on the phone required....well talking instead of typing. That's how Kate and I would communicate. We would do the long distance thing and we firmly believed it would work between us. Crazy no? Well when your 14 years old, in love for the first time, and have no idea what your doing but are certain that you are without a doubt IN LOVE.....you do crazy things. Crazy things like make seperate myspace profiles to pretend to be your favorite anime character LOL. Yea i know, it might sound REALLY awkward but it was cute and it was kind of funny.

We were just like that, we lived our lives normally, going to school and coming back home then jumping onto myspace to talk. We occasionally used the phone but because we were both nervous we would usually wait for the other to say something. I felt how amazing it would be if this feeling would last forever. Whenever she had a chance to come down to San Diego I would BEG! my parents to take me to where she was.
I only met her twice. The first was when her family was coming down to celebrate my sis' birthday. Oh MAN, was I happy. I was more than happy. I was jittery, nervous, excited, anxious all at the same time. You all know the feeling. Seeing her appear on my front lawn, even with all the other noise and people around us, all I could see was her. It's corny, it's cheesy, but it is what it is. It went by like a flash that day. She was there and then she was gone again in an hour. I kept my head up high with optimism, "I'll see her again. And when I do, I'll have all the time in the world."

Not so much. The next time I saw her was at a golf course we happened to come across. I saw her and just COMMANDED my parents to stop the car lol. They complied. HAHAHA. I was only there for a mere minutes so there wasn't much to do nor say. So I took one of her golf balls and told her "One of these days I'll go golfing with you!". I had no idea what I was talking bout but it was pretty much an offer for a date. She said yes.

A few months in I went to visit the Philippines for vacation. It was bout a month or so just to visit family. I swore that while I was there I'd find something to give to her as a present. Be it for her birthday, Christmas or whatever. There wasn't a computer I could get to when I was there so I was pretty much secluded from her for a month. I was beginning to lose hope as the days were closing in on the day we were scheduled to leave. I was at the mall. Going up the escalator. And as I looked to the left I saw it. A pink/blue monkey with Kapo stitched on it's belly. It was like a sign from God that I MUST GET THIS! I don't know what it was but this overwhelming feeling of happiness came over me from this doll. I ran down the escalator that went up, and I entered to the pink doll store that was empty aside from the two female cashiers. The Kapo monkey was softer than a pillow, cuter than an asian girl with glasses (I really like them) yet had a visible black smudge around it's back. It was perfect. And I didn't have much of a choice as it was the only one in stock. As I walked out the store with my purchased doll as I swear to you this is what I did. I held the monkey close, as if it were living and breathing and said, "I will cherish you for all time. I will put all my love inside you so that when I give you to her she can feel that love too". I cried a bit.

I'm weird. You can say it. But if you see it from my point of view maybe you'd change your opinion. I rarely got to see this girl. There was only so much I could do at the time and it wasn't enough. If I wanted to give her something, It had to have so much meaning in it or else it would be just another thing.

I took care of that monkey on the flight back over. I placed it perfectly in the suit case where it had a lot of room and was covered by shirts so that there'd be no damages. This wasn't just a doll, this was a symbol of my love. I felt so accomplished and pleased to myself. Nothing was wrong in the world all was perfect. I called her when I got home to tell her all about it. No answer. It was really late so I thought she was probably sleeping so I decided to do it again in the morning. I woke up. Called again. No answer. So I jumped onto Myspace and checked her page. I held Kapomonkey tightly and so close. Tears had started to come out and wouldn't stop. I cried into that monkey cuz it was the only thing I had that was truly hers.
The screen on the computer read, "Moving to Italy".

She was gone. Again. Worlds apart.
October 13th, 2011 at 03:23am