Stoner is the king of the Island and of the world!

Stoner claims the world championship title, as well as, a race win on his 26th birthday at a place where conditions were atrocious.

*************************

The MotoGP has wrapped up at Phillip Island this Sunday 16th of October 2011. With all the hype heading into this weekend, home-grown hero Casey Stoner stared down the barrel of his second championship title, as well as, his fifth successive win at the Island.
Stoner’s main threat to his championship hopes, Jorge Lorenzo, was declared, by medical staff, unfit to compete in the after a horrible crash in the warm up saw part of his finger gone and a trip to Melbourne hospital. All Stoner had to do at this point was to finish in sixth place or better.

With many Aussies watching, Stoner immediately claimed the lead from Sicmoncelli and blitzed the field as he carried a six point lead in the twenty-seven lap race. However, Stoner had his moments as the island, as usual, turned on the weather. Gusty winds, threat of rain and sunshine were all on show ready to knock the riders about.
Further through the race all focus was what was going on behind Stoner. Riders battling for third and second spots had spectators on the each of their seats, as Rossi and few others crashed. However, crashes, weather and Lorenzo could not take away the spotlight from the young Australian.

Every person in Australia, around the globe, in their homes and at the Island, stood up and watched as Casey Stoner crossed the line to claim the championship in one of the most special moments in Australian motorsport. Stoner is now the fifth rider to ever win two championships for two different factory teams and is the only the second rider to win a championship at his home ground. And, what better on his 26th birthday, a very happy day indeed.

H.Small
16/10/11
October 16th, 2011 at 08:21am