Race World in Mourning - IZOD IndyCar Series comes to a sad end.

Today, I woke up ready to report on all the action from the season finale of the IZOD Indycar series taking place in Las Vegas. However, motorsport can be dangerous and deadly - and even though losing somebody through crashes is extremely rare - it happened on the 17th of October 2011.

Dan Wheldon, a Britain national, aged 33 and a father of two and husband, was killed today in a horrible accident that saw many drivers badly hurt. As a racefan, I watched as Dan became a two time Indy 500 winner and was looking forward to seeing him race in the V8 Supercars Armor All Gold Coast 600 - now I find myself writing how much he will be missed and remembered.

My notepad and pen were out of hands as the world watched the horrible crash unfold and prayed that every driver would maricously walk away unhurt. But it wasn't to be. We watched as Dan was airlifted to hospital and later I saw the devastion register among the other drivers faces, before the news had been announced that today would be a dark day in motorsport, I knew immediately that Dan was gone.

Racecar drivers are tough people and when somebody that they know and love has been killed, an unexplainable and admirable comraderie is shown. This time was no exception, the drivers who weren't involved in the crash completed a 5-lap tribute to honour Dan Wheldon.

Today is a dark day in motorsport. A true legend has been lost but is in no way forgotten. Drivers in every racing catergory around the world and many fans have tweeted their sorrow for the wonderful man that was lost today. There is no celebration of championship win, there is no happily farwelling Danica Patrick - just silence, as the world and IZOD Indycar remember a friend, husband, father and talented young man.

May Dan Wheldon rest in peace. Loved and always remembered.

H.Small
October 17th, 2011 at 12:58am