Inconsiderate Roommate: Who do you think is right? (Kind of a Rant)

I’m a freshman in college and that means a dorm room and roommate, whoo. I can’t complain about my dorm room, I got one of the newer buildings on campus which means it’s a double room with a bathroom in the room (toilet and shower) plus a sink right outside the bathroom in a little entryway where my closet is. It’s a nice sized room and a micro-fridge was included which was a big plus. The biggest problem about being in a dorm room is the assholes above me who sound like they jump off their bed repeatedly in the middle of the night and my roommate.

My school told informed us who our roommate was about two weeks before school started. I knew no one who was going to my school so no matter who I would end up living with, I wouldn’t know her. I started talking to my roommate and we couldn’t have been more different. I don’t know if the people actually looked at the forms we filled out because if they did, what the hell were they thinking?

Our differences aren’t really a big deal, what’s a big deal is how inconsiderate she is. Let’s start with the TV. She brought the TV but told me that I could watch it any time as long as she wasn’t watching something. Because I was in the room more often than her and I always have to have noise, I usually had the TV on at 7 but when my roommate came into the room, I would ask her if she wanted the remote. The remote is usually on her dresser but a few times when I went to get it, I couldn’t find it anywhere. I later found out that she hid it under her pillow. Last Thursday I watched Ellen at 4 and went to dinner at 5. When I went to put the TV on around seven or eight, I couldn’t find the remote. Later on, roomie came back and got the remote from under her pillow and I decided to check her Twitter (we don’t follow each other) to see if she complained about me. Well, she did. “Why is MY TV always on and why is the window open when it’s rainy out? #gettingannoyin”. First off, yes it is her TV but she said I could watch it and she never said anything to my face about me watching it too much. Second, the thing about the window is that I like to have the window open and let some fresh air in. She keeps the air on 69 degrees 24/7 even when it’s 62 outside and she’ll keep it on when no one’s in the room. I find that stupid, what’s the point of having the air on if it’s nice and cool out? So she’ll just close the window without asking me. So when I found out about that, I was upset. I thought I was being a good roommate and according to her I wasn’t. Then, she hid the remote for the weekend when she went home two hours away. I decided I wasn’t going to touch her TV for a few weeks and let her just be a baby about all this until she realizes how stupid she’s being. Last thing here, she also doesn’t tell me when she’s bringing her friend over. It’s okay when it’s this one girl but a few weeks ago she showed up with like four girls, none of whom I knew. Thoughts?

Second thing. I go to bed earlier than her, sometimes two or three hours before her. She’ll stay in the room on her computer and have her lamp and TV on. I’m usually okay with that, I’m kind of used to it from sleepovers. What I don’t like is when she gets phone calls at 1 AM and answers them in her bed which is a few feet away from me. She doesn’t keep her voice down, she sounds whiny, and she always ends up arguing with whoever she’s talking to. Last night she did all three of these things plus had music going on her computer at the same time. It took me 3 hours to fall asleep.

Why am I complaining on here instead of talking to her about it you may ask? Because I’m afraid that I’ll sound too bitchy and we’ll end up fighting. And it’s not like this stuff isn’t unmanageable, I can live without the TV and I’m thinking of just sleeping with my big headphones on, I’m just really unhappy. I’ve been here since the end of August and I have like no friends. I’m actually considering transferring to my friend’s school. I’m going to think on it and reevaluate the semester come December to see if I really want to do that.

Maybe I am being a baby about all this, that’s another reason why I don’t want to confront my roommate. Some of my friends have really bad roommates and I just feel like my problems aren’t that serious compared to what they have to deal with. What I’m curious about is do you think she’s being inconsiderate or am I just blowing things out of proportion? Do you have any dorm horror stories to share?

Also, I have a new Twilight fanfiction up. So far just the first chapter is posted but if you like Twilight, it's there.
October 22nd, 2011 at 05:02am