Marco Simoncelli has died in a horrific race at Sepang.

Yes, you read correctly. In the space of one week the racing world is again in mourning for the loss of yet another superstar of Marco Simoncelli. As I was writing about the Gold Coast 600, I recieved the terrible news via friends on Twitter that the Italian MotoGP star has been killed in a racing accident at Sepang. He was 24 years old.

What a sad week in motorsport it is. First the passing of Indy500 legend Dan Wheldon and now the tragic passing of MotoGP star Marco Simoncelli. The star succumbed to injuries at 4:46pm local time.

Simoncelli fell off his bike and slid into the pathes of Rossi and Edwards who had no where else to go but tp crash into the ace. Rossi and Edwards escaped unharmed but the Italian laid montionless on the track, he later regained conciousness but came to his injuries moments after. Tributes are flowing all over Twitter from other racers and fans, sending out support for Simoncelli's family and the wide motorsport family.

May the superstar rest in peace and may we will keep him in memory. To his family, Simoncelli was an incredible star and taken way too early. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time.

Sadly signing off,
H.Small
October 23rd, 2011 at 11:48am