Self Expression Everywhere

I'm a college student, and I've decided to leave little poems on note cards all over campus. I'll just write a short one-stanza poem as often as I can and leave it somewhere random...taped to a bathroom stall, laying under the salt on a table in the cafeteria, on a desk in a classroom. Without my signature, only maybe a number so I can keep track of which poems I've written and left in what place.

Why?

For the purpose of leaving little glimpses of my heart all over the place, and maybe at the end of the year seeing how it's affected me, giving a shot at my soul to a total stranger, someone who I will never know has found my poem. And maybe they won't even read it, rather, think it trash. Perhaps to give a thought or a little joy to someone, because who knows how God can use a random poem left laying around for anyone to find? I think it's an exciting opportunity to leave a little joy here and there, rather than keep myself to myself. And I don't care whether or not I am discovered.

But there is a deeper reason. I am someone who struggles with finding the exact words to express how I feel in situations when it really counts. So I hope that by constantly expressing myself in my favorite way and just dropping these little notes wherever I can, for an anonymous person to read an anonymous poem, I will improve my skills by not being afraid to say how I really feel to someone. To anyone. Usually these things only happen with those particularly close to me, but perhaps by communicating anonymously with a complete stranger will help ease my mental roadblocks.

We'll see how this goes :) I am excited for it.
October 26th, 2011 at 10:36pm