Mine

Mia Farrow, Mia Hamm, Mia Sara; we all share the same name. My name is an accented word of the Europeans, not just a part of some musical on Broadway. It rolls off the tip of the tongue in Spanish love songs. My name glides through the beloved canals of Venice, Italy. ‘Mia’ can be spat out of Middle Eastern mouths at a million miles a minute, as commoners talk and reminisce about their lives and their families. My name automatically creates a smile like when a child opens their very first present on Christmas Day. It makes people wonder if the name was passed down through generations or if there is some sort of wild and exotic story behind it. ‘Mia’, to me, defines beautiful, wild, and unique.

My name means ‘mine’. It is plain and simple; short and sweet. I never appreciated my name when I was younger. I always craved for a different and more exotic name, like Xenna or Lyn-z. I hated that nobody else shared my name, but after I began to respect that it’s unique, it became more popular. My parents named me after the talented actress Mia Farrow, the talented soccer player Mia Hamm, and the beautiful actress Mia Sara. I became infatuated with Ferris Bueller’s Day Off when I learned that the actress that played Sloan, Matthew Broderick’s girlfriend, was actually named Mia. The more that I think about it, the more I realize that my name perfectly describes who I am. In Italian, my name means “wished for child” and/or “rebellion”. Rebellion is defined by “the action or process of resisting authority, control, or convention”. When relatives or friends hear the name Mia, they are automatically thinking, “Oh, what did she do now?” Or the word “punk” might play around in their head. Punk music is all about anarchy and rebellion, which is exactly who I am. My name matches me because whenever it crosses people’s mind, that’s what they are thinking: rebellion.

My name thuds like a bass guitar; it is the high F that no voice can ever reach. When people hear my name, I want them to think all about music. My bass guitar thuds low, guttural notes, but once I open my voice, the high notes level out the deepness of the bass. My name is deep just like the notes my bass makes, but once my name is said aloud, it sounds completely different. Whenever I say my name, I automatically become happier because I remember how it is still unique. My name is much different than any of the other Mia’s out there because I have my very own meaning and personality. I love my name because my name is ‘mine’ and only mine.
November 4th, 2011 at 05:48pm