The Introduction Comes Later...

So I wrote this thing... It's kind of strong. Or so my buddy says... Anyway well I'll introduce myself later. This is now.
Background: I wrote this to my parents after my christmas list.

I have reached a point in my life where you guys can’t buy me the things I really want. You can’t buy my way into the military. You can’t buy me friends. A stable future is not something that you can wrap in a pretty bow. The things I want really aren’t material. They’re ideas and feelings. They are memories that I can never get back. The items on this list are purely superficial and are “nice to have”. They won’t make me truly happy.
Material things can never make someone truly happy. True happiness comes from the feelings one gets from experiences. True happiness comes from being around those you love because your loved ones aren’t supposed to judge you. Sadly, those times have passed for now.
Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners have turned into back stabbing gossip sessions. One person leaves the room and everyone else points out their flaws. Opening presents has turned into a time where we whine about what we got instead of just accepting that grandma actually bought us something. I’ve met people who don’t have family Christmas presents because they can’t afford it. Those same people also told me that they loved Christmas anyways, because they spent time with their family. They got a chance to play with their cousins and have a nice dinner.
I used to be one of them. For the longest time Christmas wasn’t about getting presents. It was about going over to Grandma’s and playing with Sarah*. It was about watching James* and Jim* play on grandpa’s airplane simulator game. It was about wrestling with Joe*. Those were happy times.
Times have changed. Material things will make me smile, yes. Material things won’t make me truly happy though and it’s too late to bring back the things that did. The experience of Christmas was lost with my childhood. Somehow the tradition went with it.
I hope that I have made this list organized enough for you. Please respect the specifications because it ensures that I will use the product and it will not go to waste. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns you can email me.

*-Names have been changed to save my skin if anyone finds this.
November 11th, 2011 at 05:19am