Harry Potter and the Snitch Tattoo

First off, Harry Potter. Harry Potter has been my life for the past ten years. When I sat in the theatre this summer and watched the final movie, I cried like a baby, it was like someone had died. These books and movies mean the world to me, they taught me to love reading and writing and they’ve always been there as a source of entertainment and comfort since I was eight. I’m so upset that I don’t have any new books or movies to look forward to.

As you probably know, the Deathly Hallows Part 2 DVD came out today. I’m at college and to get to the nearest Barnes and Noble or any store really, I would have to walk. It’s cold out and I’m lazy so I had my mom preorder it and have it sent to the school. Barnes and Noble let me down. I was keeping my fingers crossed and praying that the movie would get here today so that I wouldn’t have to wait until Monday since the office where we get packages is closed on the weekend. No such luck. So if you have the DVD right now, I am very envious and I will be spending my weekend watching the three HP movies I brought to school with me.

Next topic, tattoos. As you have learned in the above paragraphs, I love Harry Potter. I want to eventually get a Harry Potter tattoo, either a snitch or a quote. I just want to have something Harry Potter on me because of how much of an impact it’s had on me. Reading the books led me to find fanfiction which led to me writing my own fanfiction and then my own original stories and finally to full-fledged novel length stories.

When I tell people about what I want, the usual reaction is ‘You’re really going to get a Harry Potter tattoo? You’re going to regret that eventually’. This is my argument. Harry Potter is a huge part of my life and that won’t just go away now that there aren’t going to be any more books or movies. I will always love this series. Getting a tattoo with a quote, like Mischief Managed, or a snitch with the wings wrapped around my ankle is really no different than getting song lyrics or something like a cartoon character or some animal. What makes getting a tattoo of Pooh Bear or a butterfly more meaningful and lasting than a snitch? Don’t get me wrong, I love Pooh and my mom has butterfly tattoos which look great but how is getting them permanently inked on your body any different than me wanting to have a snitch on mine? The snitch has a deeper meaning behind while a butterfly, at least with my mom, is just something pretty that she likes. I at least feel like people should be more understanding because I have a reason behind the Harry Potter tattoo instead of just wanting something because it’s pretty. I don’t mean to insult anyone who has a tattoo like that because like I said, my mom has butterfly tattoos and I think they look great. I just hate it when people scoff because I say I want a Harry Potter tattoo, like that just because it’s a book/movie series, I’ll forget about it and then later on regret what I got.
November 12th, 2011 at 03:48am