Fate.

You meet a random man, in a random cafe on a random street. You arrived after watching a random movie that wasn't your idea and had randomly decided to go to this cafe to read. It wasn't that this cafe held any significance to you in the first place. It wasn't that the moment you peered into that window that you knew you had to go in. It wasn't that you had been there before and had loved the coffee, the atmosphere and the style. It was just random.
The man, however, worked there. After moving to a randomly chosen city for a random reason he sub-consciously decided, to walk down a random street to find a job to pay for his apartment he so happened to find in this randomly chosen city. He just happened to walk down this particular street and found this random cafe that had a vacancy.
The cafe owner had been persuaded to fire one of his staff that morning. He was planning on firing him a month ago but his conscience told him to keep him on a little longer. But that morning a close friend and co-worker had told him, out of anger and frustration, to 'just do it already'. This, therefore, left a vacancy that this man took months before your day out led you to this ever so random cafe.
This co-worker who was, as we now know, angry and frustrated on this random morning, had gotten into a fight an hour before work. Her and her husband had been arguing about this particular topic for the last week. Her sister had been in a random car accident the week before but she hadn't wanted to visit due to her childhood relationship. But her husband disagreed. He wanted her to visit because 'she is a blood relative and that means more than petty childhood arguments'. And so the co-worker had been angry and frustrated.
During the morning of the random accident, the co-worker's sister had been upset. Her best friend, since nursery, hated her. All because of one stupid, random, drunken mistake where she had slept with her best friend's boyfriend. They had argued all night; she had tried to explain to her best friend that it was a mistake and that she was sorry but her best friend didn't want to know, she didn't want to talk and she used words synonymous to hate and eternity. All this led up to the co-worker's sister singing an off-key, hiccupy rendition of 'All By Myself' in her car that random rainy morning. She was apathetic towards the world which caused a sensory delay when a car randomly spun out of control and hit the passenger side.
All of these events are out of your control and, as previously mentioned, random. So why is it that on that random day, in that random cafe on that random street after that random movie, that you met the man of your dreams?
November 12th, 2011 at 08:58pm