TEAMMATES DO BATTLE AT SYMMONS PLAINS

The V8 Supercars are now finished with the endurance season and now all eyes are focused on single sprint racing. In particular, on TeamVodafone teammates Jamie Whincup and Craig Lowndes who are fighting for the championship title to be announced in only four races time.

As the V8 Supercars world entered Symmons plains, sporting moustaches in support of Movember, a whole lot of drama was to unfold in the practice sessions. Tony D'Alberto and Todd Kelly were both stripped of three grid positions after failing to slow down when yellow flags were shown. Causing headaches for D'Alberto over the weekend.
With nine hundred points on offer even the boys battling for championship positions, it was on for young and old. Paul Dumbrell and Shane Van Gisbergen were on watch after Dumbrell's verbal spat heading into the weekend. As fans were gearing up to watch the rivals start side by side, race control swiped three grid positions off Dumbrell for dangerous slow pace during qualifying. Greg Murphy and Russell Ingall wished that they had a better day after wheel issues ended their run.
TeamVodafone, for the weekend had changed their team name to TeamModafone, had to defend their chances of winning from a very hungry Ford Performance Racing pack. As Paul Dumbrell wants to retire on a good note and Will Davison and Mark Winterbottom both looking to lock in championship positions.
As all three FPR drivers had their eyes set on race wins, it all nearly ended in tears as Paul Dumbrell and Mark Winterbottom made contact on entry to complete their first round of pit stops. As Winterbottom and Dumbrell exited pit lane they nearly collected second placed teammate Davison. Whincup having to hold off FPR for a clean-sweep on both days.
Spare a thought for Jason Bright who was taken to hospital to have X-Rays on his right ribs. Meanwhile, other drivers were being spun in mid-pack and others, most notably Fabian Coulthard and Alex Davison, performing well to secure rides for 2012.
Jamie Whincup now leads the championship points by one-hundred and ninety-five from Craig Lowndes. And with plenty of points on offer there is no confirming who is going to finish where by season's end. With four races left anything is possible, but if I were in the shoes of TeamVodafone keep hawk-eyes on the very hungry FPR team.

TOP 3 RESULTS SATURDAY:
Pole - Jamie Whincup
1st place - Jamie Whincup
2nd place - Craig Lowndes
3rd place - Garth Tander

TOP 3 RESULTS SUNDAY:
Pole - Paul Dumbrell
1st place - Jamie Whincup
2nd place - Will Davison
3rd place - Mark Winterbottom

For more race results and more head to www.v8supercars.com.au

H.Small
November 13th, 2011 at 12:31pm