WHO'S DOING THE RAIN DANCE - SANDOWN SATURDAY WRAP

The penultimate race event in all the V8 Supercars calendar was on show today, as the weather on both days, so far, have made driving conditions atrocious.

In the practice sessions on Friday, some unlikely names topped the time charts as the young guns confirmed that the future of the sport is in safe hands with all their talent and aggressive racing. However, as the championship winds down to its end all eyes were squarely focused on the top ten championship contenders.
As the championship fight heats up, Craig Lowndes could have been treated with a better qualifying position, starting in twenty-seventh spot alongside another man who should have been further up the field, Alex Davison.
With still six hundred points on offer, Craig Lowndes had a brilliant comeback and finished inside the top ten, stopping his teammate and rival Jamie Whincup from taking an even further lead in the championship. However, Lowndes mind was eased when Whincup finished outside the top ten.
Sandown today proved to be a very wet track as spectators were treated to more safety car action than race action. Jason Bargwanna and Greg Murphy both having heavy impacts against the wall that is famous for Will Davison and Michael Caruso's horrible accident last year. It could also have been better days for Tony D'Alberto who found himself finishing in the garage after damage to the front of the car.
The Kelly Brothers, however, should embrace the wet track as team boss Rick Kelly took pole position and the first race win of the weekend. His brother Todd took a third place spot off top Ford finisher Will Davison, making it an all Holden podium.
Now all eyes shift to tomorrow where the weather is predicted to be fine. Though, the race will still go ahead come what may with the weather.

TOP 3 RESULTS -SATURDAY:
Pole - Rick Kelly
1st Place - Rick Kelly
2nd Place - James Courtney
3rd place - Todd Kelly

For more news check out www.v8supercars.com.au
November 19th, 2011 at 09:17am