Dysfunctional is the New Normal

Lately it's like every little thing has been getting on my nerves.
Maybe that's an over-generalization or maybe it's just post-period stress/irritation.
But still, I can't be the only one feeling like this.

Like this morning for example. I got up early, showered, dressed, and ready for work only to find my sister had taken my car to church and wouldn't be back for another hour. All of my plans for the day were set back an hour+ just because she didn't have the decency to say "hey, I'm taking your car, be back in an hour." I mean, it wouldn't be such a big deal if she had just asked.

Or the other night while I was at the apartment with my boyfriend. He mentioned one little thing that I had said at work a few weeks ago (we work together) and apparently it had really upset him/embarrassed him. At the time I had no idea because our work environment is far from serious and I thought he was joking around when he said "oh I'm not talking to you for a while."
Guess not. Basically the context of what I said went a little like this:

Shane(a cook) asks the random question, "So Katelyn, would you rather have a really wild and crazy good fuck, or make love?"

Since I knew he was saying this in a joking manor, I answered sarcastically, "Oh I'd totally take the good fuck." And everybody in the kitchen laughed along. I thought that was the end of it.

Apparently that answer is only acceptable if said by a male.

Later Scott (my boyfriend) says, "You know how big of a whore you sounded when you said that?" Deeply offended by being called a whore by someone who's supposed to love me, I demanded to know what that was supposed to mean. I was under the impression it was nothing, the joking conversation everyone was having at work.

Then he goes in this whole thing about how me talking/joking with the guys at work makes me look like a slut/whore/whathaveyou because apparently "girls aren't supposed to talk like that." And how embarrassed he was by me/is when ever I joke around at work. Then I ask him how else I'm supposed to respond to jokes at work if not through joking sarcasm. He can't answer except to say "I don't know but you're doing it wrong."

Because of this I got really upset and he couldn't see how saying this would upset me. I started crying and he just ignores me because he thinks I'm being "irrational".
Finally later he half-asses an apology and I go back home.
We just decided to stop talking about it and let bygones be bygones.

I guess that's just a part of loving someone. Overlooking their faults and irrationality.
But it still hurts sometimes.
No one ever thought Scott and I would work out because of the age difference and other bull, but we're determined to prove them wrong. And if that means more nights where I cry, or he yells, so be it. That's life.
My dysfunctional, normal, life.
November 20th, 2011 at 06:08pm