Tonight is for rediscovering the music of my youth

I'm procrastinating, as usual. I have already written three term papers and I just want a break before I start the fourth one tomorrow. So sue me.

Anyways, you know how certain memories have a soundtrack? Like, when you were doing whatever thing you're thinking of, there was a certain song playing and now your brain forever associates that activity with that song? I really hope someone understands what I'm talking about, because this is usually the point where people stare at me like I'm replacing every other word in my speech with some word from another language. Like Russian.

Well, today I noticed that someone had dug out my old Super Nintendo and set it up in the living room. I sat down to play some Super Mario World, and suddenly I had this song stuck in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME3Ahe8z16k

And all I could think about was sitting on the floor in my older brother's bedroom and playing that game with him while he played his Godsmack CDs in our childhood home. I still knew every word.

This summer I stayed at my brother's place for a couple of weekends. During one of these trips, I drove him into town to pick up some groceries and we listened to Godsmack and talked about Sully Erna's biography and stuff like that. My brother and I have always been pretty close, and growing up he was my idol. He still kind of is.

So, upon remembering that song, I went onto iTunes (because stores are closed right now. Otherwise I don't use the internet or downloading, I actually go buy CDs) and downloaded a whole bunch of Godsmack songs. From there, I began to remember all of these other songs that we used to listen to, and I realized how much I missed listening to them. I went on a huge downloading spree, and I got some Disturbed, Marilyn Manson, Drowning Pool, and tons of others.

I'm pretty sure that I was the only girl in the fifth grade listening to metal instead of pop.

That doesn't mean that I didn't have my moments. I do own the Spice Girls greatest hits. But these songs all mean more to me than those do. I love it when I find a song that has a special moment attached to it.

So now I'm going to go kick some ass at Mario and listen to some awesome old music.

Do you have any songs that bring you back to your childhood like that?
December 3rd, 2011 at 05:59am