FINAL SHOWDOWN - SUNDAY HOMEBUSH

The V8 Supercar Championship Series came to an end, and after twenty-eight races, over 6000km and across 15 domestic and international destinations, the finale race in Sydney put on a show never to forget.

Emotions rode high as drivers prepared to tackle the final 250km of the 2011 V8 Supercar Championship. Jamie Whincup and Craig Lowndes battling to the last lap to see who would be crowned the champion. However, strategies had to be readdressed as cars prepared for a wet track that became dry in the lead up to the final race, almost the entire field starting from pit lane.
Will Davison had another good start as he snatched his fourth pole position since defecting to Ford Performance Racing. Unfortunately, Davison’s hopes of winning his first race for the factory team would come unstuck as he speared off into the wall. Retiring stable mate Paul Dumbrell wished he had a better day, as he spun his car which was struck by Lee Holdsworth coming around the corner, leaving the retiree gutted.
Michael Caruso voted most likely to have been hard done by officials, as he was red-flagged in qualifying for crashing despite maintaining mobility. Later in the race, the Fujitsu racer would be held in pitlane for 10 seconds after he was penalised for starting in the wrong grid bay.
Championship combatants Jamie Whincup and Craig Lowndes had a ferocious day at the office, as the entire field were trying for last solid results before the year’s end. Whincup had to make sure he finished 12th place or better, and did so after a critical move helped him grab the trophy with two hands. Craig Lowndes came second but was not enough to beat his championship winning teammate for 2011.
Now, the V8 Supercars will look forward to some well-deserved time off after a busy and entertaining 2011. Bring on all the action in 2012!

TOP 3 RESULTS
Pole Position – Will Davison (Car #6/Ford Performance Racing)
1st place – Mark Winterbottom (Car #5/Ford Performance Racing)
2nd place – Craig Lowndes (Car #888/TeamVodafone)
3rd place – Shane Van Gisbergen (Car #9/Stone Brothers Racing)
OVERALL CHAMPION – JAMIE WHINCUP (Car #88/TeamVodafone)

DRIVERS DEFECTING/RETIRING
Paul Dumbrell (Retired)
Fabian Coulthard (Brad Jones Racing from Bundy Racing)
Lee Holdsworth (Gary Rogers Motorsport to Stone Brothers Racing)
Russell Ingall (Paul Morris Motorsports to Walkinshaw Racing)
Dean Fiore (Triple F Racing to Dick Johnson Racing)
Alex Davison (Stone Brothers Racing to TBA)
Warren Luff (Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport to TBA)

For more V8 Supercar news head to www.v8supercars.com.au
December 4th, 2011 at 09:04am