It's sort of a poem about my life.

Do you remember her? She's the one that never seemed to fit in back in grade school. She was the one that never seemed to have any sane friends, but in middle school, she had this insane phase that made her think she was only good enough to be emo or gothic. She thought she found friends in the dark group she had grown to.

But then high school comes along. Her best friend dates her other friend. She's then forced to be the third wheel in all of the situations. She's tired, and she just can't take it anymore. She sneaks away from them, so she doesn't hurt anymore.

Do you remember that girl? She was always so quiet. You thought she was a freak. Had it ever occured to you how she felt? Did you ever stop and think she was lonely? Did it ever occur to you that she was waiting for someone to approach her, because she didn't want to choose and be shunned in the end?

Did you remember that girl, the girl that wore make-up to school? The one that hoped to be noticed as a beauty queen, even though insecure? She tried to wear nice clothes, without looking ridiculous. Do you remember her soft, tired face? She never complained unless it gave her too much pain.

Her friends found her along the way. She shunned them, not wanting to get caught up in their schemes. Her best friend offered her a cigarette. She refused it, saying no. Her other friend sneered at the pink sweatshirt she wore and told her how black was a fitting color.

She didn't say anything to them, yet she wanted to scream at them. She wanted to let tears pour down her face. She wanted to let all her emotions show. She didn't want to be apart of the freak show of school. She didn't want to be cool and do drugs. She wanted to be colorful, and live a life of love. She wanted to be beautiful, and have friends. But she was holding back, afraid of getting hurt like this again.

"Can we be friends again?" says her friend after a month. The girl you remember has no answer, because she knows its not that simple. You have to work to be friends again. You have to commit yourself. But she was silently screaming to herself. She didn't want to keep a friendship going that was going to crash and burn anyways.

She didn't want to be the shoulder to cry on. She needed to let her tears fall. But her tears can't drop on her own shoulder. She can't cuddle up with a teddy bear, or confide in a friend.

What are friends? She asks herself. She searches it up, but she can't find solid info. She seems like she can handle anything, like she has a comeback for everything, or an answer. But by the end of the day, she's crying, water down her cheeks. No one notices. The tears are invisible. She's silently screaming. She doesn't want this anymore. "It's a burden!" She screams. but no one hears her. No one even glances. No one cares.
December 6th, 2011 at 03:54am