You made me feel so special.

And I don't think you were even trying.

As soon as we got back from lunch, you came over to my desk and told me to go get my Statistics book so I could help you study for the test tomorrow morning. I told you it was in my locker. You said I should go get it. Then, you grabbed my hand and pulled me out of my desk. You said you'd go with me to get it, and dragged me out of the classroom by my hand. When we were finally down the hallway, you let go and we walked toward my locker. We talked about the weather, and you told me how it's always like this up in Michigan. I didn't know if you'd remembered that I have three stepbrothers in Michigan, but you wouldn't have said something if you didn't.

On the way back from my locker, you bet me that you could hit the metal vent nearly an entire story up on the building. You told me to shake on it for a dollar and said that you liked that I always keep my word. There were a lot of people walking by, so you grabbed my arm and told me to slow down. I couldn't believe it when you smacked the vent, especially without a running start! You then bet me that you could hit the top of the archway in the closest building; "double or nothing", you'd said. I agreed. You even opened the door of the building for me and let me walk in first.

You said you couldn't do it, "look how tall that is!"

But I told you that you could. After a small running start, you were able to touch the archway. How high up is that thing anyway? 9 or 10 feet? Maybe more, I don't know.

When we got back to the classroom, I told my best friend about what happened and you told me to stop -- after I had given you the two dollars, of course. You gave me one back for tutoring you. You chirped at me for always losing bets with you. I told you everything that would be on the test, and helped you with a worksheet. We took breaks, but we got it done before class was over. After trading review sheets, because mine was better and I won't be in school to take the test tomorrow anyway, you told me you'd be texting me during the test for help and I kind of hope you do. That'd be nice.

But you really did make me feel special. There are three other kids in our class that have the same exact class that I helped you study for. They could have helped you, probably better than I could have. But you chose me to help you.

You don't know this, but today's my dad's birthday. If he were alive, he would've been turning 56 today. I know that you have no knowledge of the sadness that I have experienced every year on this day for almost 7 years now, because I'm almost positive that you have no idea my dad has been dead since I was 11.

I got out of bed thinking today was going to be horrid. Most of it was, unfortunately. I thought I was going to have another panic attack, or something. But I didn't. Spending time with you was probably the highlight of my day.

So, I'm either really lucky that you have good timing, or you have good instincts to know when I'm upset. Either way, I'm thankful.
December 8th, 2011 at 11:08pm