Life in the Lyme Light.

2011 was the year that I adjusted to life with Lyme. I learned how to handle being sick and how to work around it. I learned what it truly took to keep going every day, and though I faltered a few times, I figured out how to get back on my feet. I met people like me—the chronically ill—and I realized that I am not alone. By learning their stories, I learned about empathy and the power in numbers.

Most importantly, I think I learned that my Lyme Disease is not a weakness. If anything, it’s what has made me as strong as I am. I know how to push through pain and how to brush off unkind comments. I’ve learned to fight for what I need and to never second guess myself. The things that I’m taking away from this war has made me realize how much there is to life and living that I’m ignorant to and there are things out there that will try and push me down. The key is to not let it stick with you. Find the good in everything. Find the strength and the purpose. Share your story. Inspire someone else and change way they view something.

So here’s to all you Lymies out there, and everyone else in general that struggles with illness. Keep fighting and you won’t lose.
January 1st, 2012 at 01:31am