Mibba Tutorial

Tip #1: Dialogue

When writing a story, it is important to make sure that your dialogue is separate from the action in the story. When characters speak, they should each get their own separate line in the story. For instance:

“Hi,” she said, looking at me. “Hello,” I said back, smiling. It was nice to meet a girl who wasn’t horribly shy. “Where are you from?” I noticed her pretty smile when she spoke. “I’m from the next town over, visiting my grandparents.”

This is a common problem these days on Mibba. There’s no way to know who is speaking when, even with the “she” and “I”, because it’s just one solid block of test. The better way to write this would be:

“Hi,” she said, looking at me.

“Hello,” I said back, smiling. It was nice to meet a girl who wasn’t horribly shy.

“Where are you from?”

I noticed her pretty smile when she spoke. “I’m from the next town over, visiting my grandparents.”


This is the proper way to write dialogue. Make sure that you use a comma before the closing quotation marks if you are going to use said or other words after the character name or gender as well. I’ve seen dialogue quite recently written thusly:
“Hi.” She said, smiling.

Again, this is incorrect. The correct way to write this would be:

“Hi,” she said, smiling.

Tip #2: Write a better story!

Even if you aren’t going to write professionally, some rules must still apply. If you want readers to enjoy your story, make sure you write it well. I’ve read stories recently that are great, except they’re so poorly written, it’s hard to get interested in them beyond skimming the chapters. When a reader gives you constructive criticism, don’t attack them; take it to heart and make the changes they’ve suggested.

One thing that really stands out to me is dialogue (again). Most people, in their daily speech, use contractions. It’s, they’re, you’re, etc., are all common in the English language. Therefore, having a character speak like this:

“I do not think we are working out. I am going to have to leave you.”

makes that character sound like a robot. Now, if your character is a robot or android, then that speech pattern might be part of the character. But if your character is human, then it’s unlikely that character is going to speak like that. Be sure to integrate contractions into speech just as you would in real life.

Another thing I sometimes see are one or two page updates. While you are welcome to write as much as you wish, it is helpful to write a few more than one or two pages. I have seen authors update what promised to be an exciting chapter, then, when I read it, it’s two pages and the author’s note states something to the effect of: sorry it’s short, I’m not done with it, but needed to update. Don’t rush an update. Readers will wait as long as it takes to get a solid, well written chapter!

Another pet peeve: author’s who demand comments or subscribers before another update will come out or they will stop and delete the story. Write for yourself and no one else. If you only have four subscribers, that’s four people who really like your story. Be glad for the readers and subscribers you have and write for yourself and post when you’re ready, not when you reach a certain number of comments or subscribers.

Tip #3: Research your story!

I recently read a story where an internal organ collapsed that does not collapse. That tells me that authors did not do any research before including this medical catastrophe in their story. If it had been a fantasy story, I would not have been so surprised, but it wasn’t. True, the stories here are mostly fiction, but there should be some element of reality. If you want to have the character face a medical crisis, make sure it can happen first. Then, make sure you’ve researched the treatments for it. You can interpret those treatments in your way, but make sure there is some reality there.

General writing tips:

Make your stories as original as possible. I know that can be difficult on a site this large, but it is possible. At least make sure that you don’t become predictable. I’ve read stories lately but authors who use the same structure for each story and I can guarantee what is going to happen to each character almost. I’m not saying I’m not sometimes guilty of the same, but I work hard to make my stories unique.

If you are writing slash, consider that not all males (gay or straight) are overly emotional. If the situation calls for it, write it in. But if you’re writing a fanfiction and the male characters wouldn’t be emotional in real life, they shouldn’t be emotional in your story, either. Everyone cries, but everyone also smiles, laughs, gets angry, etc. With original characters, try to find the personality that truly fits, not a stereotype that the media has fed you.

The same can be said for female characters. I tire quickly of the “damsel in distress” way of writing and frown when I read it in story after story. I can almost guarantee that, in most stories, when the young lady, who is always drop dead gorgeous, walks out of the bar or club, she’ll be attacked and a male will come to her rescue like a knight in shining armor. Why not have the female (if you want her to be attacked) fight back? Not all women are weak and incapable of fighting for themselves.

Always try to inject some realism into your fiction stories. It makes it more believable and helps the reader develop feelings for the characters. Everyday situations can make for great stories, if they are done well.

Use description! I’ve read many stories that are nothing but:

He went here. Then he went there. He opened the cupboard. He took down a plate.

We’re all guilty of it, even if we don’t realize it. It can be hard to spot this problem in our own works, but really pay attention. Make the story locations stand out. If they’re in a room, what kind of room? Big, little, red, green, what does it look like? Try this:

He went in the kitchen, trying to decide how hungry he was. He opened the cherry-stained cupboard, looking over the inner contents, still trying to decide how hungry he was. He finally took down a red square plate, figuring it would hold a couple slices of pizza.

The final tip cannot be stressed enough: give and accept constructive criticism. You cannot grow as a writer if all of your story comments are “I love it!”. It might be a great story, but if it’s poorly written, someone is bound to come along and point this out. Instead of getting upset or defensive, think about what was said. If you’re having problems making those changes or aren’t sure why they were pointed out, contact the commenter for further advice. Most of us are willing to help and some (myself included) will even offer to be your editor if you’re serious about wanting to grow as a writer.

I hope these tips have been helpful. I am always available if you have questions or need and editor. I didn’t get a BA in Creative Writing for nothing, after all =).
January 22nd, 2012 at 10:05pm