Transboy. Prom and Jobs

I feel like it's been forever since I've posted once of these but now I have the perfect opportunity; I got my prom letter the other day. Yep, you know where I'm going with this.

A little background info. first.
At the end of year 11 you get a Prom to celebrate leaving school and finishing your GCSE's. You have to pay a non-refundable deposit of £10 and then an extra £30 later. It's an important event and everyone turns up in limo's and other flashy vehicles. Now you're all caught up.

Because I was practically forced to go to prom by my mother who didn't even try to persuade me and just flat out told me I was going, I made a compromise; I would go to prom if she would let me wear a suit. Now, I'm not talking a full-on tuxedo or anything, more like Lady Gaga's on the Born This Way video, but, obviously my mother had to make a compromise with that too; she wants me to at least try on the dresses.

So, at this point, assuming you haven't read my other stuff, you're probably just wondering why I don't just tell my mum that I'm trans, if all this dress crap is eating me up and the simple answer is... I have.
Last August I told my mum that I would "feel more comfortable identifying as a boy". She talked about it with my dad and told me to think about it, and now remains blissfully ignorant of anything that could possibly a hint towards my preferred gender.

I'm also looking for a job and obviously it's a whole other set of trans-issues there too; I mean, I could identify as a boy at work but explain to my boss my situation, or do I just not bother and work there identifying as a girl? It's all too confusing.

I think I definitely need to explain things to my parents again and make them see it my way. I mean, I'm not asking them for permission, I'm telling them what's happening. What's the worst that can happen? Them telling me that I'm not allowed to identify as male. Fuck that.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys think I should do. I feel like all the people who used to offer me such great advice in the beginning have sort of abandoned me...
January 24th, 2012 at 10:25pm