Gerard Way has no reason to fear me, now.

Because I'm not a teenager anymore. My age has already changed on Mibba, but in approximately half an hour, I will be officially twenty years old. There really is no way for me to put it delicately how old and decrepit it makes me feel to say that I'm out of my teens. I feel fracking old. The second semester of school just started and there's a kid in one of my classes who's seventeen. I graduated high school over a year and a half ago. Oh my lord. And I don't want this to sound like an age thing, but the kid is seventeen- he's just a baby! And I know that has me sounding completely bonkers, but it makes me think about how much I've changed since I was seventeen and then I think about how much he'll probably change and it's just profound to me.

Since I was seventeen, I've lost my bestfriend to a great big ol' university, lost my chance at having old friends be good friends, been through a couple tough familial matters, had an existential crisis, become completely obsessed with the BBC, made some great acquaintances online and through fandoms, and written some of my favorite pieces. I've lost my physical social life, I have no job, no money, and an ever accruing debt to my parents. I have been graced with some good and cursed with some bad, and I'm hoping like mad that it all evens out in the end to something wonderful.

I've spent two decades on this planet. I've seen the good and bad in humanity. I've seen the good and bad in myself. I haven't traveled nearly enough, but I will. I haven't met the man of my dreams, but I want to. And maybe my life choices seem impractical to others, but they're what's good for me. I'm twenty years young, and there's a lot left for me to do.
January 26th, 2012 at 06:44am