RE: Emo Teenagers in Society

Okay, so I didn't write up my letter in here; here it is now.

Hello, I am writing in about your report about emo teenagers in our society.

Though I am quite astonished a news station actually had the courage to create a news story on it, I do find it slightly disturbing that it only conforms to one type of teenagers who fit your description of the word.
Your outward description of the term was about as correct as you can get when our world cannot accurately describe emo. There are so many different interpretations of the word, and they can be construed in many different ways. Emo could be referring to a clothing style. I myself have tried this out and admit, it can sometimes be catchy.
Though when you get into emotional aspects, you're venturing into a totally different field. Some kids that are considered emo fit your description quite well. In fact, I am friends with a few. But your polls about how "emo" music feeds depression is not true in all cases. I will cite as my source My Chemical Romance's song "Welcome To The Black Parade." In this section it implied that the song was about "pain, agony, and dying." Once a person takes a look at the lyrics, however, it puts out a different message. The chorus contains the words "We'll carry on, we'll carry on. And though you're dead and gone, believe me, your memory will carry on" as well as "I'm unashamed; I'm gonna show my scars...I'm just a man, I'm not a hero." The first citation would normally imply that, even though someone you loved very dearly has passed away, you won't take your life away just to be with them, but rather to honor their memory. The second implying that we all have our issues, some more serious than others, and it's not good to hide them in the dark where they can grow and become what most people consider to be emo thoughts.
Even though Dr. Napolitano makes a valid argument, it's ultimately up to the person listening to it to take a meaning out of a song and make it their own philosophy, in some cases. I know of a site where "emo" kids can talk with each other and, despite their differences in distance, become friends and relate to one another. They even help each other out of their depression states. People of all ages want someone that understands them, and I do not see the problem in having music that makes them feel like they're not alone or friends that do the same thing.
Also, although emo couples do sometimes contain homosexuals, bisexuals, or trans genders this is not a characteristic trait. It's more accepted in the culture, yes. But isn't it just another form of open-mindedness, that we love people for who they are rather than hate them for it?
Also, I can understand ultimately that the parent's way of raising the child could be to blame. But at the age where most emo kids lie, the teenagers, most of the time they're gaining independence from parents and won't listen to what they say. Given, some will. I have long talks with my mother about everything I do, including the music I listen to. These would include every band you cited as being "emo." And she agrees with the statement they put out, not about dying or giving into depression, but using it as an escape from the bad things and motivating yourself to get out of your pity track and start living.
I would suggest that, before anyone begins pinning down labels and talking about topics, they first know a great deal of what they speak of. In the music, it would be the background of a band and what the morals are of the members; maybe even the inspiration for their songs. But most "emo" bands have positive messages.
I also find it slightly strange that, as misunderstood as those who consider themselves emo are, a report would be made that would cause them to be made fun of even more by their peers and put their feelings out into broad daylight. Ultimately I guess I have no reason to argue your airing of this segment, since it was informational as far as the data you gathered, but I would suggest trying to get a broader spectrum of a very diverse culture before you report on it. It's basically being stereotypical in a sense that if I said all Afghani people are terrorists it would automatically be true (I am not at all endorsing that statement; I believe most Afghans are upright people trying to live their lives. Some just get in the way of that.) Not all emo people fit the criteria suggested.


The response:

First of all, I want to thank you for writing to us and sharing your opinion. Second, if you live in the area, I would like to invite you to join us for a potential roundtable discussion and follow-up story about emo. It seems our story has been posted on several bulletins and blogs, so much of the communication we are receiving is not from California’s Central Valley. Unfortunately, what was first passed around on the internet appears to be an incomplete version of the story. Originally, when the piece began and when it ended, the anchors told viewers most teens view emo as a type of fashion or music. Only a small group of teens who identify themselves as emo, go deeper into the lyrics, giving the words more power than intended. Still, we felt a small group was an important group when talking about self-mutilation and suicide.

As you know, emo stands for emotion. So, it’s no surprise a story on emo would generate an emotional response. Whether you agree with the approach of our story, one purpose was to start a dialogue about the subject. That’s just what has happened. Our original intent was to get parents and teenagers talking. But now it seems the discussion needs to go further.

We tried several times in our story to make it clear that just because someone wears black or listens to music labeled as emo, it doesn’t mean they hurt themselves. We also tried to state that it’s not the music that encourages people to cut themselves, but how and why the person relates to it. The music we chose were songs mentioned by teens who feel part of the emo culture. So while you may not feel the bands are emo, many others do. And while, thankfully, you may not listen to the music as a way to deal with loneliness or pain, there are teens that do. I apologize to those who feel the story perpetuated a stereotype, but the story will now help many parents take the time to talk with their children.

There is always more we could say and learn about emo and how it is viewed by our society. If you would be interested in talking with us on camera for our follow up story, please email me back with a contact phone number. If you are under 18, also include the name of a parent or guardian we can contact to get permission. We do not yet have the exact day and time for our roundtable discussion and follow-up story, but we will be in touch to set something up with those who are interested.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope we can address some of your concerns in the days to come.

Rebecca Lindstrom

CBS 47 Investigators


Be this a form letter? I think so. But I might just contact them. Even though I'm in Illinois! hahaha.
July 11th, 2007 at 03:43am