The End.

The night dissolved as we drove. I bade it to stay.
But, like you, it had made it's decision. The sky faded into day and the countdown began.
We had hours. When you had anticipated forever, hours are weak. Fragile. Like my pulse.
You seemed okay. Functional. But I guess I would have too. If you didn't know what to look for.
We have always been too good at pretending. That was our problem.
I knew it was happening. You could sense it in the weather. This day was made for heartbreaks.
There was no stopping it. Even if i had slammed on the brakes. Refused to drive one more mile.
You would have found a way. A way to disappear with the past. My past.
I cried like a maniac on my way back to this town. I wished for a tragic collision. A poetic ending.
But none came. I made it in one piece, more or less. To this place full of ghosts.
The passenger seat felt so bare. I couldn't ignore what wasn't there.
And you left me with your trash on the floor board. Discarded and numb.

But now that he is breathing life back into me, you grit your teeth. You clench your fists and you rage. But I'm far across the ocean, and there's no touching me now.

You have your vodka and your anger. So leave me with my hope.

I am learning how to live. How to fly with my damaged wings. And he is here to show me how.
February 17th, 2012 at 07:32pm