*facepalm*

So... I've decided to give The Vampire Diaries a try, and even though the pilot wasn't the best, I've found I've learned to enjoy the show. I think there is a great air to the show, with an even dose of suspense, romance, despair, action and fantasy that makes for a very addictive series. What I haven't been enjoying, however, is the fan fiction.

Let me start out with saying that I have absolutely nothing against fan fiction. I'm writing one myself, a TrueBlood one. The reason I like writing fan fictions is because it's EASY. The only thing you have to put any real thought into is the new character. Everything else is written for you. The plot is written, the characters are named and developed and everyone already know who they are and what they're about... and yet, I go in search of a decent fan fiction and find they are few and far between... if not non-existant.

It's the characters that are driving me up the wall. If you are writing a fan fiction where the people who read it want a different twist to something they already know and love, YOU CAN'T CHANGE THEIR PERSONALITY JUST BECAUSE YOU WISH YOU HAD THEM WRAPPED AROUND YOUR LITTLE FINGER.

Damon Salvator is a MONSTER. Yes, he occasionally does something that shows he may have something underneath, but he ALWAYS follows it with something truly monstrous. So many stories on here and quizilla have Damon being the perfect boy friend, and it's utterly agonizing to read. Damon is selfish and impulsive and cruel. And that all there is to it... at least as far as I've seen. I haven't seen anything from the third season, but I highly doubt he makes such a huge transformation. He has no problem with stringing hapless people into his clutches and using them like puppets to keep him entertained. And people are writing about him like he's this white knight who can do no wrong, when that pretty much all he does.

That is the reason I started my TrueBlood one, because no one could get Eric down. He was too nice, or too selfless. Eric is greedy and powerful, and no one knew how to get that to show in their writing, so I did. And from the stories I've read about Damon, I might have to start a fan fiction about him. Let me know if that would be something you would read.

-Jayde
February 20th, 2012 at 01:50am