Hi, my name is Aaden and I'm a cover song junkie.

When it comes to music, I don't think there's a right or wrong way to go about it. I think that songs have infinite possibilities, that lyrics have the ability to lend themselves to many different genres. I like the idea that something can be reused, reinvented, brought back from its musical grave. A lot of people don't feel this way, but I'd like to take some time to share a few of my favourite cover songs with you.

Does anyone even remember Cyndi Lauper?

Yes? No? Either way, chances are you know the words to her infectious pop tune "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun." It's an upbeat, girl-power anthem in every way, shape, and form - but in my opinion, it wasn't meant to be. The happy-go-lucky song was covered by an artist named Greg Laswell, who turned Lauper's it into a soft-spoken ballad - a masterpiece in its own right.



How about an artist named Kate Bush? Probably not; personally, I think she screeches like a dying cat or an angry chihuahua or some other high-pitched nuisance, but the moment Greg Laswell put his charms on her mosquito-toned "This Woman's Work" it became perfection.



Any One Direction fans?

Personally, I dislike them, but to each their own. They were built for the boy-band revival, and I can respect that, but the stuttered lyrics and synthesized beats in 'What Makes You Beautiful" don't do the song any justice; take away the NSYNC style vocals and the manufactured band, and Boyce Avenue manages to create a cutesy acoustic version that's more than tolerable.



Let's be honest, all of Boyce Avenue's covers are pretty much perfect.

To save your ears, I'll stop here and let you go on with your lives. I'll leave you with one of my all-time favourite covers: "Drops of Jupiter" by Taylor Swift

February 22nd, 2012 at 01:06am