Child Beauty Pageants - does it sound ok?

Child Beauty Pageants

Beauty pageants are most popular and began in the United States of America and are quickly becoming a trend in Britain. Are beauty pageants suitable for the thousands of child contestants they attract each year? Contests began in the early nineteen-twenties and ‘Little Miss America’ was later developed. These pageants create an image of what every girl should look like, are they exploitive if this is the case?

Parents are overly enthusiastic over beauty pageants and many force their children into taking part. They use it as an excuse for personal gain. If their child wins they get a cash prize as well as other awards. As seen on Toddlers and Tiaras,
“She does as she’s told so now she does these pageants.”
Parents with this attitude undoubtedly use their children to get what they want from these pageants. When they were younger, possibly, they didn’t have the confidence, money or permission from their own parents to do the pageants or dress up. They want their children to be successful like they couldn’t be. Dreams that they could not achieve when they were children they try to live through their own children, whether or not that child wants to do it.

Babies, toddlers and children are entered into these pageants, even the babies have make-up on. The children have full spray tans, full face make-up, fake eyelashes, high heels and deficient ‘barely-there’ outfits. Toddlers are also dressed up in preposterous outfits and make-up. It’s trickling through society, the way children dress for these pageants like on Big Fat Gypsy Weddings where the children also dress provocatively. Children of that age do not need to wear make-up as it mistreats younger healthy skin and with their youthful complexion why would they need make-up anyway. Not only this but these days girls who haven’t yet entered their double digits in age are transitioning from ‘cute’ to ‘hot’. Wouldn’t it be fairer if the pageants were judged on natural beauty if there is not definite way to end them completely?

Likewise, girls who do not win feel they are not good enough. It promotes certain types of beauty. This has led to girls altering their diet to change their body shape. These pageants create an unattainable goal as it is not realistic to expect this. This could alter the images these girls feel their body should look like.The pageants make them feel inadequate. They feel they should be thinner or prettier, sometimes they turn to what they feel is the only thing they can do, not eating or making themselves sick. In other words, anorexia and bulimia.

Then again these pageants promote self confidence and if they win it really does give the contestant a huge confidence boost but what about the children who lose? Should parents allow their daughters to be objectified in this way, especially at a tender age, when their confidence and self-image can be irreparably damaged? Some argue that it encourages women to be feminists when in actual fact it is the complete opposite.

Secondly, Children seem to enjoy taking part in the pageants.
"I love doing these beauty pageants, they are fun and I get to look pretty."
Pageants, if it is what the child in question enjoys, can be a lot of fun due to aspects such as the modelling section or the talent show. The children work at talents all year round and they can range from singing to karate. A lot of work is put into the pageants.
"The best part is when I get to show off my talent." A seven year old said.
At the competitions, backstage there are often activities for the children to take part in when it is not their age groups turn at competing, it helps to keep the children entertained and to make new friends. It is understandable that mot children enjoy the pageants as they like to play dress up but some dont have a choice when it comes to taking part in them.

Another good thing about beauty pageants is the winners often recieve cash bonds or scholarships. With scholarships children are given a place in a private middle school or high school. They are also individually awarded rosettes or sashes for 'most photogenic' or 'prettiest smile' but how can you single out just one child from all the many beautiful yet make-up covered faces? Does all this really hide the fact that children are being sexualised?

It is possible to say that beauty pageants are exploitive. Beauty pageants not only objectify children but put them up against one another in a fight for the best looks and encourage them not to be themselves. As a result the government should begin to think of what these pageants are promoting and their issues. They should be banned.
February 22nd, 2012 at 09:30pm