Insert Title Here

Well... I can't post this on Tumblr because there's a slight chance he checks my blog occasionally. And I'm trying to figure out exactly what one of my friends is ok with hearing and what's not ok, since she's been feeling lonely lately when I talk about him and I don't want to make that worse. So. I'm back to Mibba.

I think... he's starting to figure it out. I saw him on Friday night at this meeting at church, and I wanted to show him my most recent drawing but I got caught in a conversation with another friend's mom and he disappeared while I was talking. I didn't get to talk to him Saturday night because he left right after church. So Sunday I got to church and sat down in my usual spot, and after worship practice he came off stage to talk to me (!), which he hasn't done for probably the past 3 or 4 times he's been on worship team. So it's been probably a good couple months since he's come off stage to talk to me.
But anyway. He comes up to me and I show him my drawings and we talk a bit, and then he says, "You look nice today."

Ok.

He's only given me 2 compliments before this: the first was when I got my glasses and he just said they were nice. The second was after I got my hair cut off and he finally recognized me and he said he liked it.
But this was different. The first two weren't really directed to me, they were more just statements. This one was actually a compliment to me. It's kind of amazing I didn't spaz out right then and there. I did manage to at least walk calmly to the bathroom once he went back up on stage before I spazzed out. I don't know if he noticed my crazy-person grin or not.

Anyway.
Small group last night.
He brought me tea. Two weeks ago, he brought this chocolate tea that was really good. I told him last week that I'd been craving it all week and I asked if I could get it from his mom's work (she works at a tea shop). I went in on Tuesday and discovered that this store apparently has about 5 different kinds of chocolate tea. I had no clue what I was looking for, so I said I'd have to ask him and come back. Well, I guess the lady told his mom about my visit (I'd mentioned him by name) and she sent a little foil bag of this tea with him to small group yesterday. Which I think is incredibly sweet, since I've only met her twice, and hopefully he could tell how happy I was when he gave me the bag.
Anyway, we watched the second half of a film called "Furious Love," which we'd watched the first half of 2 weeks ago. That week and the week before, as well as last night, he and I sat on the couch. The first week was typical couch-sitting. I was right in the middle of the cushion so as not to make him uncomfortable, and he was leaning on the arm and into the corner of the couch. Second week was the same, except this time he actually asked if I had enough room, and his posture was more relaxed.
This week...
During the movie it was the same. But after the movie, when the group started discussing, we somehow both shifted so our legs ended up touching. And it wasn't just an accidental bump, because usually what would happen is that he'd move his leg away. But he didn't do that this time. I don't even know how long we sat during the discussion with our legs touching from knee to ankle. Actually it was even knee to foot, because I went to move my foot over a bit since my feet were turned in and I was getting uncomfortable, but when I went to turn it out a bit his foot was right there.
After a while he did move, but it was back and forth after that. There were a few times after that that our legs touched again and he didn't move away like he usually would.

I know this probably sounds ridiculous, but I guess after 8 months of waiting... a part of me was thinking it would never even get to this.

So then tonight, we had our book club. It's me, him, a few other people that come regularly, and then a couple others that weren't there tonight but were there last week. The other guy that was there tonight mentioned a verse that the chapter made him think of, but he said he couldn't find it so the three of us all started looking for it while the other two kept talking. Eventually the other guy gave up, but he and I kept looking. So at one point he found a verse on his phone. I was close to it in my Bible, so he just reached across in front of me and started flipping through it to the right book. Besides the fact that this required him actually leaning over a little bit and almost right into me, he didn't seem to mind the closeness of what he was doing. Because again, before this he probably would have just told me the chapter or showed me the reference on his phone, rather than actually reaching over to flip to the page himself.

And I'm definitely happy about this. At the same time... I'm just thinking about this. This is a huge shift from before. Not that I'm complaining. It's just unexpected, but in a good way. I think at this point I'm more just curious to see what happens next. I just need to be patient and wait a little longer.
February 28th, 2012 at 07:02am