Scholarship Essay, please help review?

Hello beautiful people,

I am working on a scholarship essay, the prompt is explain why I embody the qualities of a good character. It is 249 words, please spare a few minutes and help me! (:

“Character isn't something you were born with and can't change, like your fingerprints. It's something you weren't born with and must take responsibility for forming.” - Jim Rohn
A student should not only excel in his or her studies but in help build, restore, and contribute the community around them. At Flagler College during the 2011-2012 year, I, Ashley Ryan, have been not only been working diligently towards receiving my BA in both Philosophy/Theology & Communications while volunteering with my sorority Phi Alpha Omega but also working towards creating a new club called Love 146 Taskforce. This club will be a small branch of a large international non-profit organization called Love 146. Our mission: To raise awareness and resources to combat child sex trafficking. This is a matter I am very passionate about. Child sex trafficking is an issue that is alive in our world, not only in far away countries over sea but here in America and even close by in Jacksonville. As future president of this club I have goals not only to help bring the issue to light in the Flagler College community and then to the city around it, but to help this club flourish and continue as a tradition for many years to come. These children need the help of people who are able and as part of the future generation of America, I am ready and willing to commit my time and talent to bring awareness to this terrible crisis in our world.
March 2nd, 2012 at 08:30pm