So, apparently accidental pregnancies are the choice of women who need to be taught that this is a mistake.

Glenn, Grothman, a Wisconsin senator is currently trying to make single parenthood a contributing factor to child abuse. I can only assume that "single parenthood" is just the politically correct version of single mothers because I certainly haven't heard anything about the single fathers of America from him.

Being a politician, he naturally had to drop his unpopular moral opinions on the rest of society. Grothman believes that having a child out of wedlock is immoral and because Grothman believes that's wrong, obviously it's a contributing factor to child abuse. After all, the country was built on serving what one man in one state believes is right. It's not like he should do his job and represent the people or anything. That whole democracy thing was obviously a joke.

He also completely ignores the fact that having a child out of wedlock isn't the only reason a woman could be a single mother. Next time, Grothman wants to shoot his mouth off about single mothers, it would be fantastic if he'd realize that maybe that woman's husband died, or maybe they got divorced (However, a divorced woman might still infuriate him. Following his twisted logic, divorce should also be a factor to child abuse.)

That brings me to what Grothman is now saying. He thinks "unwanted or mistimed pregnancies are the choice of woman" and that "we should educate women that it is a mistake."

Does he not understand that accidents happen? I've never met a woman who told me, "You know what? Now isn't a very good time for me to get pregnant. How about I go out and get pregnant?"

The "choice of women" is what really ruffles my feathers. For some absurd reason, there's no man involved in this whole debacle. Women aren't getting pregnant on their own. I think there's a choice made by a man somewhere along this process.

And last but most certainly not least, precisely how are we going to educate women about the "mistake"? (I don't know where the mistake is honestly. I thought Republicans were pro-life and all that jazz. A single mother kept her child. Where's the problem?) Are we supposed to make them social pariahs? This whole "educating" thing sounds a lot like a throwback to A Scarlet Letter to me.

I can't believe this kind of thing is happening in our society. It just goes to show the gender inequalities still going on.

What do you think about this?
March 8th, 2012 at 03:38am