Florida and Alzheimer's

Since I wrote last, here are some of the things I've been up to; nothing. Mostly I've just been hoping for this week to somehow get faster until Thursday. Thursday, I'm going on a trip to Florida to sing at Disney World, hang around in the park, and then head to Universal Studios for some fun there. I will be singing with our school's chorus group and riding some of the best rides in the state of Florida.

Now that you are all updated on my life, it's time for some news:
A university was testing a cancer-treatment drug on Alzheimer's-disease-suffering rats when they come across an amazing discovery. The drug actually stopped, partially, the protein scientists believe is responsible for Alzheimer's disease. Although there is little proof that this protein causes Alzheimer's disease, there are higher concentrations of it in Alzheimer's patients. But, even more amazing, the rodents actually had less effects of Alzheimer's disease prevalent. The rats weren't totally cured, but they were better and could function almost as well as a rat without the disease. The drug is currently moving to human testing, which should move along smoothly, as it is currently on prescription shelves for cancer patients. But a word of caution to those who are ecstatic because of this "breakthrough;" Human brains are much more complex than those of rodent variety, so the human testing may not go as planned. One of the researchers said that it is more likely the drug will fail human testing, but their hopes are high.
March 13th, 2012 at 08:24pm