Spring break, graduation and family.

To kick off my Spring break vacation this year, I left on Friday night to drive almost 200 miles and stay with my sister for a few days. Now, my sister is a newlywed. She has been with her husband for a total of four months, married a total of one. (I won't even get into discussing her poor choices. It's just too much.)

Anyway, I stay from Friday night to Sunday night. The entire time I am there, her husband speaks a cumulative amount of less than 50 words to me. That total included the phrases: "Pass me that remote." and "Just dogs that smell."

Now, my sister was highly offended that he wouldn't interact with me, especially when I actively tried to engage him in conversation. She's told me a lot about him and his shenanigans, and he knows this. Maybe he doesn't want to make himself seem like the bad guy, but you think he would try to redeem his reputation. My sister flew off the handle when he tried to say her behavior changed when I showed up.

Today, I was talking with my mom and told her my thoughts. I've decided to tell my sister, when the time comes to send out my graduation invites, that if her husband wants to play the same game he played at her house, that he and his smelly son can just stay home and let her venture here alone. I can tolerate being disrespected by someone on their own turf, but I refuse to let someone disrespect me in my own home, on a weekend that should be about me and starting a new chapter in my life.

I don't know, I just had to get this off my chest. A part of me thinks I should feel wrong about being so blunt about it all... but a majority of my mind won't let me.
March 16th, 2012 at 05:39am