What The Beatles mean to me

In grade six I saw my best friend for the first time since we were in grade four, as I went to a different school for grade five. A frequent subject matter she brought up was her favorite band, The Beatles. I remember her laughing when I said I couldn't tell the members apart in their mop-top era. I didn't really know much about them beyond 'I Saw Her Standing There' and 'Can't Buy Me Love.' I really liked her, but felt there was always this lack of common ground and connection between us. I felt the way to remedy that was to really get into The Beatles. At least we could talk about Paul McCartney (her favorite member) for hours! I talked to her about songs she liked and read up about the band online while listening to them. Soon enough my love of the group became something outside of her. I started out thinking that John Lennon was the bass player and I now know (roughly) how George Harrison lost his virginity.
Image

When I first started listening to them and before I was in a bad, dark period. I felt lost, depressed and suicidal. I believed stupid, inadequate, and didn't feel that I was going to amount to anything so what was the point? When I listened to them I found lyrics I could connect to sung with beautiful voices and backed with not to shabby instrumentation.

When I listened to them I felt happy, and I love learning the story behind the music. I just adore them. Whenever I'm feeling down I put on an album or watch A Hard Day's Night and I feel like I can deal with the sh*t life throws at me or my friends. The only thing that makes me sad about A Hard Day's Night is seeing George smoking, and the mentions of John and Paul's mothers.


When I listen to George's songs, he reminds me that no one should control or take advantage of me. However, when I watch videos and see pictures, I see an awkward man that can always make me laugh.
Image

When listen to Ringo's songs I don't feel much as he had so few of them but the songs he sings make me happy for some reason, even if he doesn't look happy in most photos and videos.
Image

When I listen to Paul's
songs
, I think that life is beautiful and that one must keep an optimistic outlook on it.
Image

John's songs appease the part of me that is shy, confused and lost in this big, complicated world.
Image

In shorter terms, I love The Beatles for inspiring me with their gorgeous songs, through my suicidal period and now through my best freind moving away.

March 22nd, 2012 at 09:52pm