I Was There When The Site Crashed

It was Sunday morning, around nine, and I was going onto Mibba to check on my newest updated story before going to church. I typed the address and when it popped up I barely noticed it was kinda bare, thinking the page hadn't fully loaded yet, then I tried to log in. It failed. I tried and tried again to log in, but it wouldn't work.

Finally, I thought that maybe David had changed my Mibba password as a joke or something (Before he created his own account I let him share mine since he wanted to read some stories on the site) so I clicked on the link go they could send me a new password, that's when I started to freak out.

I entered my username, and e-mail and clicked Enter. Then a little message popped up saying that there was no user by that name. I started to panic, thinking maybe Mibba had banned or suspended my account for some unknown reason.

Then I decided that maybe my story was still up, so I went to the stories page and was startled to see it completely blank. It was, 'No active stories are posted' or something along those lines. Then I went back to the homepage. The New User's thing was blank, the Updated Stories was blank, the Latest Articles was blank. Just for the heck of it, I checked the Poems sections, and it said no poems were posted on the site. I was freaking out by then. I texted my boyfriend and friend who is also on Mibba, just freaking out about it. Then, a minute later I updated the page and saw that Mibba was under maintainence, so I had to text my two friends back telling them not to worry, and it was just undergoing maintainece, feeling stupid for freaking out. My friend and I guessed maybe the New Mibba was coming.

Later that day, I learned of the crash, and thought to myself, 'Wow, I know that most people probably back up their stories, but for the few people that don't, I feel sorry for them.' I never guessed the number of people that never actually backed up their stories. I mean, that's just common sense to me, no offense to anyone. I'm also on Fanfiction, and they always tell you, have a back-up of your work in case the site crashes on something.

Then I saw all the people who got so mad over it, blaming Mibba for not being able to recover their work and thought to myself: Hey, I was on Mibba when it crashed. There was nothing. We should be glad they were able to recover almost everything with the exception of things we posted the week before.

I guess this is like a lesson learned for all of us: Always back up your work.

And hey, it wasn't all a bad thing. If you had subscribers that unsunscribed to your story recently, like in the week before the crash, they were added back to you. =) Love that! I got two subscribers back. =D
April 18th, 2012 at 12:56am