Hehe, silly misunderstandings on the Internet// why are short stories so hard to write?

So I posted a journal earlier about how schools are banning the hunger games because of the violence and killing of children, but still mandate The Lord of the Flies, which has a similar amount of violence and killing and savagery.

I think people thought I overlooked all the metaphors and allusions and symbolism in the Lord of the Flies, which I don't, trust me, my teacher beat the book to death with a stick, which is, unfortunately, the main reason I do not like the book.

I should have made it clearier, but I meant the schools aren't even allowing it to be read in schools at all because it's apparently too violent. Its probably not being taught in class. My point was that they make students read one and refuse to let them read the other for something the both have. There's violence in almost everything from Shakespeare to modern lit, that's just a general fact. It doesn't make sense to me to ban one and force the other.

And that's coming from a girl who isn't an obsessed hunger games fan, liked it, but didn't absolutely love it, but usually loves the material that the curriculum gives us... Except poetry units... But that's another story.

-------

Anyway, for school I have to write a short story, which means cutting a story that I could very cell, and would rather make into a full story, into 3000 words. Any tips for keeping things short?
April 19th, 2012 at 12:18am