My Happiness Is Not Dependent Upon How My Teeth Look / Help Please?

The dentist I go to seems to think that my happiness is entirely dependent upon how my teeth look. My parents just recently took me to the dentist to see about getting me teeth implants because, long story short, I got in a bike accident when I was nine, when I accidentally rode my bike off a cliff and knocked my two front teeth out. The people at the hospital didn't know what they were doing, so they weren't able to put them back in before the root died.

Anyways, I really don't like the dentist person I'm going to to have this operation done. He's mean and he only seems to want my money. First, we thought I would only have to have two implants, then he told me he would have to rip my other two teeth out, the one's surrounding the two missing teeth, so then it was four. Then we learned I would have to have some of my gum line removed to make the teeth 'look good.' Oh, and of course, this would cost more money.

And then he told me that my entire future career would be dependent upon how my teeth look. He said people like people who have good looking teeth and who have big bright smiles. Ok, maybe if I was gonna be an actress or model then yeah, I'd agree, but I'm gonna be an author. People aren't gonna give a crap if my teeth look good or not, they'll care about if my writing is good or not. People on Mibba like me, and they don't even know what my teeth look like!

Anyways, we found out all this stupid teeth stuff is gonna cost about $13,000 total. Then today we went back and found out It'll cost $15,000. They're in it for the money, I know it!

And on top of this, they said they won't be putting me under for this operation. Uh, no. Sure, they'll numb my face up, but no. I will not be able to handle them doing surgery while I am wide awake. I am very nervous and freak out a lot, in case you couldn't already tell. I'm not letting them anywhere near my face unless I'm out cold.

Anyways, they said they found out I would have to get bone grafted in where my teeth used to be because the bone receded away, and that it would take a while for it to heal, and since I would be getting it at the start of Summer, I would have the whole summer to heal.

This was good news, because earlier in the year I'd wanted to go on a mission trip to Ireland, but they thought I would be getting the implants then, and so if I got an infection or something, I would have to stay in the US, but if this happened I would still be able to go.

So anyways, I asked my dad, and he said, "Hm, and when would it be, and how much would it cost?" I told him the dates and he was fine with that, then I told him it was Ireland, and he freaked out, and was like, "Ireland??? No way, that'll cost a lot of money!!!"

Image

Are you serious dad? You'll spend thousands upon thousands for four stupid teeth, and not be willing to pay $3,000 for a mission trip to go and minster to people who need Jesus? (not trying to start a religious argument, so don't even try, this is just my POV), and I told him so, and his answer, "Yes."

Wow, ok, so as a preacher my teeth are more important to you than me going on a missions trip? ok, whatever. I mean, I would rather him not even get the implants. I am more than happy to just wear this retainer. I mean, I can eat with it on, sleep with it on, and I brush it just like my other teeth. I AM FINE, DAD! But he refuses to listen to me when I tell him this. I just don't want this stupid operation done, and I just don't know what to do! I'm 18, so obviously I have a say, but they're my parents and I live under their house so I have to listen to what they say, and it's not like I have anywhere else to go. I really just don't know what to do.

I'm sorry you had to sit here and listen to this big whole rant, but I just don't know how I can avoid this, but I'm not one to give up easily. Any advice? Please, I need a plan!
April 20th, 2012 at 02:14am