Any Chinese Mibbians Or Anyone Who Knows A Lot About The Chinese Culture?

So, about a few months ago I decided to write a story about an enchanted necklace, and this story is set in China. Don't ask me why, but it as to be in China. Anyways, I tried to start writing in, but then I realized I know little to nothing about their culture. All I know is stuff they show in movies like Mulan, and that they like Dragon's, and even a myth about a white snake that turned into a women when she fell in love with a human.

But anyways, I figure, if I'm gonna write a story set in China, I"m gonna do it right. So, does anyone know anything about their culture? It's only the first part that's set in China, the rest happens in the Dreamworld, but I want to make it feel authentic. I tried to write the beginning scene for my story, in which my character, Liling goes to school, but it feels too America, only with the students having Chinese names. I don't know how to give it that Chinese feel, you know? So my readers know where the setting is without me having to come right out and say it in the beginning. Can anyone help?

I was thinking about starting off with Liling preforming a play in her school about the White Snake myth, but I'm not to sure about it. Or maybe her in a play about how the Necklace to the Dreamworld came to be, but I already had that story mapped out, and there wasn't a girl in the story. And my boyfriend isn't much help. He suggested my character be a tree in the play... -.-
April 27th, 2012 at 10:37pm