What point of view do you like to use for stories?

Personally my favorite is first person. It's so much more personal and you really get to dive in and become the character, whether you're reading or writing. But sometimes first person doesn't work.

I don't like first person POV if the story switches back and forth between characters POVs sporadically. If there's a set pattern, like every other chapter, that doesn't bother me so much. What really turns me off of a story like that though is the first words being "Bob's POV". In my opinion it's kind of tacky. It'd be much cleaner to just put "Bob" maybe bold it or italicize. But if the story switches from person to person randomly, why not just save us all a headache and make it third person?

You see the reason I ask this question about point of view is because 1) I'm genuinely interested in what the majority of writers prefer to use, 2) I'm currently writing a story that needs to be in third for important plot development. The story follows more than one character, and originally I wanted it to be in first person from the view point of one of the main girls, Addy, but then I'd have to cut out some things that Emily and Jewel do.

My dilemma is that third person is not easy for me. It just feels unnatural since I'm so used to writing first.

I've also seen people use second person before, and if done right it can lead to a very interesting take on a story.

And then the other choice I have to make is whether to right in past tense or indicative.

What are your preferences?
May 5th, 2012 at 07:15pm