An article on yahoo just proved how backwards my cities stereotypes are from the rest of the world.

So I was reading this article about a set of parents who refused to reveal their child's gender so that they wouldnt be stereotyped. Around here though, it seems that being gender-neutral isn't a stereotype, it's the norm.

Let's take my childhood as an example. I grew up in a family that would be so perfect for a sporty tomboy. Lots of Nike and reebok junk to go around, a bunch of jocks to play hockey with, and a competitive additude. Unfortunately for the rest of my family, I was born the typical girl. Throwing fits a bout wearing boys clothes as an infant, ranting about sports like hockey, well, only hockey, as a teenager, and never wearing "normal clothes."

By normal clothes, I mean everything normal. Jeans, baggy hoodies, sneakers, etc. I always ended up being choked by fabric wearing those stupid hoodies.

Anyway, every other girl for twenty miles was better at being a guy than guys were, and on rare occasion, they could even pass as girls. Guess who was the one isolated and stereotyped for twelve years?

Another example is my middle schools rankings. While nothing was written in stone, we all knew who two of the top graded students were. The slightly spoiled jock, and the absentminded blonde. Funny who that works. It seems that same set up has continued into grade12.

Haha, so you actually read through this huh? I thought it was kinda an odd thing do I thought I'd share:) have a nice day/night
May 6th, 2012 at 02:55am