Young or old? Life as a freshman

As a freshman in high school, no one expects you to know anything. It makes you feel like your nothing, like you are a tiny speck of dirt on the huge pile of trash called "the best years of our lives." We have all been there, but when you think back to it, you never expected anyone to understand how you feel. You were not quite grown up, but you were not quite considered young. You were that awkward stage of in between. You might be tall, you might be short, you might be thin, you might be fat, you might be athletic, you might be artistic. No matter what you are, you thought of yourself as the person that stood out. All yo ever wanted as a freshman was to be accepted and thought of as one person in the crowd. But, at the same time, you wanted to be different. These were opposites but the same. No one wanted to stand out, but no one wanted to completely fit in. There was supposed to be a place for us all, according to our parents, but there wasn't. There never will be for a freshman. If you go back to any normal high school, you will see that there are still kids who sit by themselves because they are too afraid to make friends or that large group of "popular" people that have the good looks, but bad decisions. The people who "rule the school" but end up at the bottom of the pile when it came to the real world. As a very smart person once said, "Let them make fun of me. Let them hurt me, call me names, bring my emotions down and treat me like dirt, because one day, I will be at top. They will be begging me to forgive what was already done." There are no real groups in school? Yeah right. Who told us that? Our parents? The television? Yes, I am a freshman in high school and I can say that there are very definite groups. There are the Juggulos, Potheads, Populars, Nerds, Band Geeks, Math Nerds, Jocks, Wanna Be's, Depressed, and the Not people. The Not people are the ones at school where they blend with everyone and try to be liked by all. Why we have these groups is unknown to me, but to get rid of them is not possible without riots. High school is like a democracy. Everyone is "voted" or picked by their grade to be put into a group and everyone knows they are in that group. If we were a communistic government, like some people want, it would be worse since there would be no set boundaries and not work well. Overall, high school is what was made to help us learn, both academically and socially whether we like it or not.
May 10th, 2012 at 11:18pm