I'm No Barbie!

At a young age these pictures of what “Beauty” is supposed to look like is embedded into our minds. Look at Barbie for instance, you always see her with a flat stomach, big bust, long eyelashes, perfect skin and long hair. Seeing that makes you think that you have to look like that to be beautiful.
As a teenager you see these models on the covers of magazines, perfectly airbrushed without a single flaw. They wear the most expensive clothes and own all these nice things. Seeing that makes you think that you need to look like a model to be accepted.
As an adult you still see these things. The Barbie’s are getting more extravagant and the models are getting skinnier and prettier. But yet, you still think you need to be super thin, have perfect skin, wear expensive clothes and look a certain way to be accepted in society today.
I’m no Barbie! I may not have a flat stomach, big bust, long eyelashes, perfect skin or long hair. But I am me, my own kind of beautiful.
I’m no model. I’m not perfectly airbrushed to perfection. I don’t wear expensive clothes and own nice things. I create my own look and style. My definition of nice things doesn’t cost a grand.
Perfection is boring! Don’t try to be something you’re not. Just be you, because nobody else can.
May 12th, 2012 at 06:46am