Doctors, the medical field, standards, WTF?!

I don't know if our city doesn't have good resources, or if this is just how average people are treated, or if this is a special case, or if there's somthing wrong with medical standards.
All that I know is this shizz is f*cked up. And I'd really like to see somthing done.

Some of you may recall or know that my mom has a lot of medical issues and chronic pain. So doctors hospitals nurses etc have been a big part of my life. I'm not raving mad right now but I am upset and I do feel strongly about what I'm gonna say.

So as stated my mom has lots of problems, and she sees lots of different specalists for different areas of her body etc. Some of them think they know what's wrong with her most of them just say -I don't know- and prescribe some meds. Now I'm not here to rant about meds or whatever, today my issue with the medical field is that at least these doctors act in a divided manner.

Like my mom has a bladder doctor, a neurologist, a foot doctor, an arthritis doctor, a pain specalist, a gynocologist and some others. What I'm not understanding is why they treat her as if her body is chopped up in to sections and then as soon as the issue leaves their section it's like -Im sorry I can't help you you'll need to see a ___ specalist for that-

What I'm really saying is I can't understand why these doctors don't collaborate or research together and maybe then they could actually find what's wrong with her. It's just one person with one body and all this pain and these issues has to be connected some how but it's no wonder all these doctors can't find what's wrong when they don't put all their pieces together to see the full picture they all just focus on their little section.

I'm aware that each doctor she sees gets sent her file and medical history but I highly doubt the even pay attention to that in depth. I think the only information they pay attention to is what drugs she's currently on or of she's had a recent procedure. They don't care to look in to how all her problems connect in to one thing.

I really don't know if that's just the doctors here or if this is common. I don't know if it's just cause my mom has so much wrong with her and for so many years that maybe she's a special case or somthing. All I know is that I'm sure my mom isn't the only one out there with this issue. And if it's not already some type of requierment I think the medical field needs some type of procedure or rule to follow with cases like this. I think people like my mom need more options instead of getting passed from doctor to doctor I think at a certain point the patient needs the option to say -hey you guys need to work as a team and figure this out-. Or there needs to be a place that has teams of all these specalists that don't just do individual cases in their specific field but the colaborate with other specalists to reach conclusions about issues that may be more complex.... Like do you know what I mean? Am I making sense? Do I just sound crazy? Why isn't this already a standard? And if it is how do you make sure it's enforced?

This type of thing should exsist for the public and not just rich people who can afford to dish the extra money. This needs to be covered by insurance like any other doctor or procedure would. And just... Why isn't this happening!?
May 17th, 2012 at 06:34am