poetry vs. fiction

I'm usually a fiction writer. In fact, I dislike poetry quite a bit. Especially when it's abstract.

My mind is wired for fiction. It's wired for characters and plots and conflicts. That's what I know how to do (to a certain extent of course). Fiction is easy (in comparison to poetry) because I've read hundreds of books over the course of my lifetime, and it's just what makes sense to me.

I do not like poetry. It never makes sense to me. I am not an empathetic or compassionate person. I cannot relate to other people's feelings very well, and quite frankly, I just don't care. I don't understand most poetry because of how it's almost completely left up to the reader's interpretation. Five different people can interpret the same piece of poetry in five completely different ways. I can understand how that's alluring in a way, but to me it's just plain ridiculous.

So, yes. I don't like poetry. Yet I've been writing a lot of it lately. This is extremely hypocritical of me. I realize this. But I just can't stop. Especially late at night, or early in the morning, or in the middle of the afternoon, or while I'm watching TV or eating a snack or taking a shower or peeing or WHATEVER. My mind is constantly in poetry mode. It's really annoying, to be honest. Yet I love it.

I realize that none of this makes sense to anyone, including me. So I will leave you with the question:

Which do you prefer? Poetry or fiction?
May 20th, 2012 at 05:07am