A pointless ramble on stereotypes. Some of them...okay, only three,

So, I saw a little rant that was supposed to be about stereotypes, and was more focused on My Chemical Romance, so I decided to give out my point of view on the whole clique bullshit. This may change, as it is quite different from my former opinion, but you know, we all grow up and gain facts, beliefs, and experiences, so if I ever said otherwise before this blog, then ignore it. I was different.

I still do not understand why I find it so important to dedicate a blog to such a pointless subject, but something is urging me to do so.

There are so many cliques and groups out there, and I'm sure most of you will who will decide to read this will be like me and not know about the majority of the stereotypes. If anything, I'd like to address the main/big ones in current trend bullshit that this generation has been force fed through the superficiality of our television screens and the lies from the internet.

Punk - If anything, I think that this is one of the most controversial stereotypes of the day. I'm not a guru on this whole thing, but I honestly don't really understand it very well. There is the white and black with grey in between, and for some odd reason, I highly doubt that anyone has every really grasped that grey spot unless they are the ones who started the whole thing.

I was one browsing the internet when looking up a band and stumbled upon an article from a magazine back in 2005/2006. The article was probably old, but it was talking about this stereotype as if it was some sort of god damn fashion scene.

I am not a punk, and I never was (cleary). I think that until you are out on your own, punk is not something you can really grasp that easily. There are few, rare acceptions I'm sure, but none that I have seen as of yet.

But even so, I do know this: Punk, like all of the other cliques, is not a fashion scene. This doesn't mean you can go out wearing bullshit from the mall, and if you are, you obviously don't know enough about what the damn thing supposedly is.

It's not to say you can't go out with spikes, chains, mohawks/liberty spikes, piercings, etc. etc., but that is just your taste in fashion. It is not a free pass to the whole subculture, and yeah, people may think you are in that group and shit, but as long as you're not claiming you're that stereotype, I think you're good.

There are so many elements to the whole thing thanks to subcategories. Your beliefs, lifestyle, music tastes, speech, etc. etc. basically determines who you are in this scene, and this whole "fuck the establishment" thing is a bit more controversal to me than the damn label itself.

Basically, what I am trying to state is that this stereotype is something I can't really explain. I was born when it--in my opinion--pretty much died. In fact, I consider it more or a political movement. All of you people bitching about how your little "punk" bands are nagging you about the government and Earth related subjects and suck because of it need to go do your research. What do you think started punk? Not sex, drugs, and booze. You fucking conformist.

Prep - I'm sure this doesn't really need any explaining, but supposedly, these people I've grown around have made this little thing out to be kind of like the whole rich kid/mall norm thing with their little copy-cat styles and name brands. Simple enough.

Scene (commonly mistaken as "Emo") - Everyone, for some crazy reason, seems to be assosciated with, in my opinion, the worst trend ever. According to a little scene boy I was tortured by during the summer, "scene is where you make a scene". Basically, these kids dress up like there is only one gender and feather their hair so that it looks either like a mullet (for girls) or a dyke's hairstyle (for guys), but apparently that's okay if you have it in different colors. Oh--and don't forget the side bangs.

Most of these kids have their head up their ass (or pretend to since it's cool now) and have way too big of an ego. They think everyone is copying them since they are following a trend they never started and whore themselves up on myspace, usually trying to act like they are complicated and nobody gets them, and that they supposedly have some sort of mental problem that they were not diagnosed with. Some of these include bipolar, depression, and schizophrenia.

It is not to say that if you really are suffering of a mental disability and are into the scene that you are faking it. But there are kids that will post blogs and talk about it like they really do have a problem, as if they are wishing it upon themselves.

There are many more elements to this sad excuse for a label, but I choose not to drabble on about it.

I know so many other big stereotypes, but I will not waste time giving vague explanations about them. Instead, I'd like to get to the main post of this.

I think that if you are going to worry about others and judge kids by their outfits (few acceptions) in order to determine wether or not to hang out with them, you are just as bad as them. All of these stupid little middle school and high school cliques (Hell, even elementary schools are getting into it) are so damn superficial. You all look the fucking same, and it's like you're trying to make yourself seem admirable.

It's funny, because some of the kids who have been called poseurs (Yes, I have been guilty of calling others poseurs, but I'm sure you have been to) are the ones who are not into segregating kids and using people for reputation. If anything, the majority of the assholes aren't even in their little stereotypes for the beliefs. They're usually in it for the fashion and attention, which is pretty damn sad.

Of course, this doesn't mean you should be wearing brand name labels while rocking out at a concert to some band that is against it. People act like music is supposed to be just about the song, and that is NOT true. There is so much more to music than a catchy tune. If you're an active music listener, you'll know that there is opinions, memories, and feelings that come along with a song. So see, this is all just a damn mess.

Here--this is for all of us (including me).

Instead of rambling about this shit, let's go concentrate on enjoying life and making the most of what we have.
August 20th, 2007 at 12:25pm