Claustrophobic Tanning!

For the past two months or so I've been going once a week (or every other week, depending) to a tanning salon so my skin will stop looking a little less neon. I've tried many, many times laying out in my backyard tanning, but it just takes way too long. I don't know what's up with my skin, but it just doesn't tan like it used to for whatever reason. Maybe because I've locked myself in my house the past four years so my skin's just completely forgotten what sun is, I don't know. Either way, I've taken matters into my own hands after getting over my Final Destination 3 related fears of being trapped inside the tanning bed and burning to a crisp.

Now, I'm a little claustrophobic to begin with. I don't like tight spaces at all - I get all panicky and my heart races and just have mini heart attacks whenever I feel trapped. But shoving all my paranoia aside for the greater good of not blinding anyone with my legs, I went for it. The first time was a nightmare because I got in the bed with my little tanning goggles or whatever they're called, I closed the lid and instantly tensed up because it was just so bright and the fan near my head was so loud and I just wanted to get out of there. But I prospered (I was only in there six minutes because my skin is so naturally pale that the lady said I couldn't handle more than that my first few times) and everything was well. The next two times I was a little uncomfortable, but eventually I got over it and it was easy as pie.

Today when I went in, my mom and I had set up appointments for the Hydration Station which basically hydrates your skin and gives it vitamins and preps it for tanning. And can I just talk about how heavenly that is for a minute? It vibrates underneath you the entire time and there's steam mixed with whatever they use to hydrate your skin and there's calm lights that change colors and it's just really soothing. I almost fell asleep. It was the second time I've ever done it and the first time wasn't as good which was really disappointing but I think it was because the bed had been broken the week before so maybe it just wasn't working as well. But this time? Man oh man.

But anyways, after the Hydration Station I decided to do a stand up tanning booth instead. It's supposed to be helpful to switch off from the booth to the bed like every two times because the bulbs in the booth are stronger than the ones in the beds (which means you don't have to be in there as long, thank God) and it kind of makes sure your skin doesn't get used to the bulbs in one of them and you stop tanning as well. I think that's what's been my problem because I've been noticing littler and littler differences the past few weeks and my mom gave the stand up a try and noticed immediate results, plus she just loved it to begin with. I asked her if it would make me feel claustrophobic and she said it was a pretty open space and that I wouldn't have anything to worry about.

I really shouldn't have taken her word for it because I'm just naturally more paranoid than she is. I walked in there and it's like the width of a porta potty. No, probably smaller than that. There's handles at the top where the fan is that you hold on to so the undersides of your arms tan and everything. I turned it on, stepped inside, closed the door and just lost it. I had to tell myself that I was alright, that I wasn't going to be in there long and that I could easily open the door if I needed to. What I was really freaked out about was when it would turn off and it'd be dark. Because what I hate more than small spaces is small, dark spaces.

So you can bet that the second it turned off, I was out of there in a flash. I didn't realize until after I practically tore the door off flinging out of the thing that a light bulb turned on when the UV lights went off. So it probably wouldn't have been a big deal.

The results were great, though. My tan lines were really prominent and my chest (which is the hardest skin to tan, I swear - my arms and stomach and legs could be bronze and my chest will still be white. Like wtf?) did look darker so I was really happy. I think it'll be easier the next time I go because I tend to overreact about, like, everything.

____

Do any of you like to go tanning or do you prefer just laying out instead? Are you as claustrophobic as I am?
May 26th, 2012 at 05:22am