Do you think this is for attention?

I'm not trying to say that everyone that does this, does this for attention (or maybe I am?) but to be quite honest, I don't understand how it couldn't be for attention. And please feel free to offer your input and tell me how you feel about it.

So basically, I'm on Facebook. Scrollin', creepin', scrollin'. Then I click on this picture of a girl I know through my cousin. Me being the big Tumblr fanatic that I am, click it. She posted videos of herself after she sliced her arms. She's basically on video crying for help and showing how depressed she is. She talks about how she's not killing herself tonight but will soon. It's really quite sad and I feel for her. At the end she says that she's not doing it for attention.

If you weren't doing it for attention, why would you show everyone your arms? Why would you post it on the internet for anyone to see? Why would you publicly announce that you're going to kill yourself soon and carve help into your arm? Even if you're not directly asking for help or attention, you're doing this for a reason, are you not? You want people to see what you're doing to yourself. And is that not a form of wanting attention?

It's the same with anything. You post a picture of yourself and put a caption that says 'ugly.' You post a picture of yourself period. You obviously want people to see it otherwise you wouldn't put a picture of yourself.

I don't think that it's bad to want attention. We all need it and there are some of us that definitely need it more than others. It's just stupid to me that after you self harm, you take a picture/video and tell people that you're not looking for attention.

What do you think?
May 29th, 2012 at 04:33am