I Am FREAKING OUT Right Now. I'm Suppossed To Give A Speech And I Don't Know What To Say

When I first found out I was Valedictorian I was honored, but then I found out I have to give a speech...I have no idea what to say! I know most valedictorian speeches are about their classmates or the fun times they had in high school. I can't stand most of my classmates except like, two of them, and I didn't have but like, two good times. My most prominent memories about this year are bad one's. Such as, getting my heart broken, and that's about it. There were never really any 'fun' memories, except maybe the play, but that wasn't even during school. That's not to say my year sucked, it just that most of my good times for the year had nothing to do with school.

I have a very short, rambling speech ready, but I don't even know if it really makes any sense. I need someone to just skim over it and tell me what you think. Also, if you have ANY advice or suggestions about the speech I would be VERY grateful. I basically have nothing to work with.

Here's my speech, or at least, what I have so far...

"I will try to follow the advice that a university president once gave a prospective valedictorian speaker. "Think of yourself as the body at an Irish wake" he said. "They need you in order to have the party, but no one expects you to say very much." I’ll try to keep this short and sweet.

I guess I’ll skip right over the ‘best parts of the year’ I was supposed to have and go straight to the ‘thank you’s’: thanks to Mrs. Grady, the only one who actually made math easy for me to understand, and I’m sure my classmates feel the same way. Thanks to Mrs. B who has not only improved my writing, but has got to be the only English teacher who doesn’t know what a ‘prologue’ is. And well, that’s really the only two teachers I had. So that sums that up. Oh, and I’d also like to thank my parent who were the only one’s who stayed up with me late at night to help me with my homework when I was too tired to remember how to spell anything, even with autocorrect.

Ok, now onto the inspiring part of this speech: graduation is the part of the year that everyone looks forward too: it’s the part where all the graduates are finally thinking, ‘YES! I’m finally getting out of this school!’ I think it’s fitting in this situation. But seriously, it’s a scary thing, graduating. College is just around the corner, and who knows what that’s like until you get there? But I guess the best thing is to tell yourself you’re moving onto bigger and better things. For example, in this graduating class of three we have a future writer, singer or teacher, and an evil genius. Watch out world, here we come!

I don’t really know what the point of this speech was, other than just to get up here and say something. Honestly, I wrote this is under 10 minutes, so I guess I’ll just end this speech with some wise words from Walt Disney, “All our dreams can come true...if we have the courage to pursue them.”"
May 31st, 2012 at 03:01pm